clutches.....school me

gwunter

Reaction score
I'm having some difficulties getting this clutch to hold in my 4bt expedition with m5r2 trans. It was holding before the cranshaft broke but ever since the crank replacement, about 1000miles ago, the clutch just won't hold on a decently hard take off. Once the boost hits like 10psi the clutch says no. Here's a little back story on the random crank break. It basically broke while cruising down the highway at 55mph. It ran for less than a minute like that. Tore it all apart and found nothing wrong except a 2 piece crank!! While apart I decided to true up the surfaces on the bell housing adapter as they were not flat. I ended up milling off 0.020" to get it flat. To compensate for any interference I created by the milling, I took off the trans seal carrier plate and milled 0.050" off of it to set the slave cylinder back further. But ever since the clutch has not held. I have no reason to think it would be from me milling, I know this for a fact because I actually tried it pre and post milling.

So when the crank broke it obviously vibrated extremely bad
But would still start and run. With the violent shaking of the flywheel does anyone think this fatigued the pressure plate somehow to the point it weakened it. Current clutch has less than 4k miles on it. I just put in a call to south bend clutch to see what they offer, they'll call me back tomorrow. This clutch just has me confused. Thanks.

Latest posts

Members online