CNC Plasma Table from DD 350 Cummins 6.7/twins/6R140 Thread

TurboM700

Reaction score
I built a 5x10 a few yrs back that when not in use would tip up and only take up 2.5x10. I had about 3k in mind not including the plasma put mine has auto tool touch off(must have) along with a water table(also a must have).

I purchased the servo and drives as a complete from here.
http://www.candcnc.com/
Mine was loosly based on this guys
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=658793
My z looks very similar except most if not all my stuff was made out of alum to save gantry weight.

I would build the biggest one you have room for then go bigger. I can not tell you how nice it is to throw a hole sheet up there and start cutting vs having to cut down bigger sheets to fit on your small table. You get much more waste this way.

Also like other have said spend the money on a top of the line plasma its worth it in cut speed and tip life alone. Along with accurace on thick cuts.

me2

Reaction score
I can not tell you how nice it is to throw a hole sheet up there and start cutting vs having to cut down bigger sheets to fit on your small table. You get much more waste this way.

That is why I am building a cantilever machine.

Thanks for the other links. I'm looking at them.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
All the parts are ordered.

Here is the parts list.

The X, Y and Z axis guides as listed in a previous post. $450

2x NEMA 23 stepper motors, 570 Oz in, for X and Y axis $110

2x NEMA 23 stepper motors, 355 Oz in, for Y and Z axis. Don't know which one I'll use for the Y axis yet. Want to keep weight down on the cantilevered arm. $78

1x Gecko G540 4 axis stepper driver. 3.5A, 50 Volt $250

1x Toroidal power supply, 48V, 13.5A $140

2x NEMA 23 belt drive pinions $180

2x 4 foot racks $90

1x wireless USB pendant $125

2x cable chains $70

Total $1493, plus shipping charges.

Not included in the parts list is the NC controller and a PC and miscellaneous wires, hardware, limit switches, etc.

The stepper driver (Gecko 540) is more than I need, ie 4 axi instead of 3. I might add a 4th axis for cutting pipe in a chuck or something like that.

I also purchased one extra NEMA23 stepper motor. That is in case I convert it to a gantry at some point. Ditto on the extra axis on the G540.

I am probably going to use GRBL as my NC controller. The board for it is $35.

I feel as though the parts I am using are as good or better than most of the turnkey lower end CNC plasma tables. I thought about using servo motors, but couldn't justify them on such a small table. Most of the guides on lower end plasma tables are roller bearings on cold rolled steel. They can be troublesome. My motors are as large or larger than most entry level systems.

I think I should be able to put together a nice little plasma table with these parts. My target cutting size is still 2.5 feet x 3 feet.

I'll provide pictures and specs as I work with the parts.

Those Gecko drives are awesome - I have a friend that uses them heavily. I chose to go the route of Teknix drives on the mill I am putting together, but would do Geckos if I had to start over simply because I think they are more readily available in case there is an issue.

Take a look at the Mach3 software - its awesome too. I'm really happy with it the little bit I have played with it as I have been working on setting up the specifics of my controller.

AKHILF

Reaction score
I know this is a older thread but I love it. I run a messer hpr 260xd all day at work and its nice. My tables 108"x288" but we use it for mass production more than anything. But I do still cut out very small parts, smallest yet is most likely around 1"x1". It also goes as low as .040 aluminum up to 1" and for steel 22 gauge up to 1.5" I have cut 2" thick steel but it took a lot of changes in the settings. I really want to build my own table I think a 4'x4' would be just about perfect for home use and not get to much scrap loss and I also would use an everlast plasma. I'v had there 250ex for about 6 months and love it. Never skips a beat. How's this table tuning out?

me2

Reaction score
I know this is a older thread but I love it. I run a messer hpr 260xd all day at work and its nice. My tables 108"x288" but we use it for mass production more than anything. But I do still cut out very small parts, smallest yet is most likely around 1"x1". It also goes as low as .040 aluminum up to 1" and for steel 22 gauge up to 1.5" I have cut 2" thick steel but it took a lot of changes in the settings. I really want to build my own table I think a 4'x4' would be just about perfect for home use and not get to much scrap loss and I also would use an everlast plasma. I'v had there 250ex for about 6 months and love it. Never skips a beat. How's this table tuning out?

The parts are here, but I haven't been able to get into the shop to work on it. I've been stuck behind a desk taking care of things.

I hope to start working on it shortly.

me2

Reaction score
I run a messer hpr 260xd all day at work and its nice.

I have a question for you. How does that system handle the torch starting point and the cut in to actually starting the piece ?

Does the CAD file for a part have the cut starting point and path defined ?

Or is it defined by the operator when the part is run ?

Is there a CNC command for "start the torch here and feed to position X at a certain torch voltage" ?

How does that work ?

I'm asking because GBL and other generic open source CNC controllers do not have this functionality and I'm probably going to have to add it to them.

This is my first CNC plasma build. You run these things day in and day out. I'd like to hear any and all suggestions you may have about the design of this thing, other than the fact its going to be a cantilever. Is there anything special that you would add to it ?

Thanks

AKHILF

Reaction score
The messer system is really user friendly. Iv worked for this business for a while and as soon as we got it two years ago I was the one they picked to run it. I didn't get to go to school or anything. Just had to teach myself. We use pronest for all of our cutting. It will take our cad files and convert them to code and we decide how much scrap and what kerf we want to use. I have the option from 30amp all the way to 260amp to select. To be honest iv never used any other CNC table. But I do want to build one for myself. My table at work have a plate alignment, there's a laser pointer off the side of the torch and you give it 3 points of the plate and then it knows where the plate is. The program already has the parts in off the edge of the plate as much as you set with pronest. I tell pronest how much of a lead in and lead out I want. I can then dry run the program and the laser will show you exactly where the torch will cut. It's a nice set up but there's know way I'll ever afford it. I'm on my phone now when I get home I'll try and answer more questions for you.

AKHILF

Reaction score
Here are a few pictures of the table
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346945665.306744.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346945706.523343.jpg
A program loaded
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346945721.832973.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346945756.437801.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346945626.217887.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346945626.217887.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 76

AltPartsInc

Reaction score
A plasma cutting torch is a commonly used tool for cutting metals for a wide variety of purposes. A hand-held plasma torch is an excellent tool for quickly cutting through sheet metal, metal plates, straps, bolts, pipes, etc.

A “CNC plasma” system is a machine that carries a plasma torch and can move that torch in a path directed by a computer.

Latest posts

Members online