Coil conversion for 2001

Fall Guy

Reaction score
I have rode in one, just for a couple of miles. I would like to be able to put some time behind the wheel on one of these setups.

As far as quality, everything is awesome. Very nice looking finished product. I was not as impressed with the ride. Right now I have a tuff country 2.5" leveling kit on my 01 & I would say the ride was about the same. I was able to take this truck for a spin right after the lift was put on, so maybe there was some dialing in to be addressed. I'm not sure if the rear setup on that particular truck had something to do with it. The turning radius was sweet.

I have a 01 as well, have been trying to figure out the best possible ride sitting at about 6 inches over stock.

Check this thread out:

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/99...686-installing-8-inch-full-traction-lift.html

Lang

Reaction score
Thanks for the link. I'm really contemplating this since a 6in lift is 2 grand from BDS or Icon so for 1000 more why not. I know it doesn't include coilover's and that'll be another 2 grand but if it's that much better ill do it.

liquidlounge

Reaction score
I would buy one today if it came in a less than 4" lift. When I talked to FT, they sounded like the minimum someone should consider was 6" for it to work best....something about coil-over availability maybe? I'm suprised with all the aftermarket on these things, that nobody has offered a lower lift kit. The 04 & up coil conversion is not for everyone with rear axle, wheel considerations, etc.

liquidlounge

Reaction score
Guys- the turning radius does not improve with the full traction kit. I think the steering knuckles are the limiting factor.

Layson

Reaction score
Guys- the turning radius does not improve with the full traction kit. I think the steering knuckles are the limiting factor.

Well when you don't have the leaf springs to hit with your tires you will improve the turning radius.

Layson

Reaction score
One option is always to look at a 08+ suspension & axles. When it is all said and done after selling your axles it might just pencil out.

Lang

Reaction score
One option is always to look at a 08+ suspension & axles. When it is all said and done after selling your axles it might just pencil out.

Know of a GOOD write up? From what I read gets a lil expensive with steering gearbox, and swap out all the braking system

dentexpowerstroke

Reaction score
That's what he is saying tho, a lot of people running larger tires hit leafs before they hit full lock. so yes this kit would help that situation since you could actually hit full lock while turning. What im getting at ia ypu said this wouldn't help turning radius, he said he hits leafs, im pointing out what you over looked.

PatriotHauling

Reaction score
I get the point. Im just saying if the tires are hitting leafs, you probably need more lift rather than a coil conversion. Its just another way of going around it I suppose.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
I get the point. Im just saying if the tires are hitting leafs, you probably need more lift rather than a coil conversion. Its just another way of going around it I suppose.

Curious how more lift is going to change the offset of the wheels?

And I dont want to be "that guy" but why is this in the 7.3 section... Should it not be in the general or suspension section...

Layson

Reaction score
Know of a GOOD write up? From what I read gets a lil expensive with steering gearbox, and swap out all the braking system

It isn't really too bad. If you can find a donor truck. It is mainly just time. I think my friend had 3500 into 08 axles and stock suspension components. which isn't really that great of a deal. Then an 05 track rod bracket and he had to get an 08 steering box. Brakes are not a big deal and run the ABS sensors out of your old axles. Sell your old axles and stock suspension and be into it 2-3,000. Probably a LOT less if you shop craigslist all the time. Just takes a little bit of work, time, and space.

In my opinion the turning radius is the biggest improvement over the bigger brakes, wheel bearings, and axle. Especially with the crew cab long bed trucks.

I know on my setup with 01 axles and coilovers, my turning radius is awesome now. It is like driving a different truck. No matter how high I lifted my truck my tires still rubbed the leaf springs. I don't think anyone I know that has a lifted truck with aftermarket wheels didn't have them scrub on the leaf springs.

Latest posts

Members online