Cometic MLX head gaskets

Dieseldan

Reaction score
I came across this the other day, these were released just earlier this year for 6.0 so I have searched and can't find any discussion on them, would like to know if anyone has seen or used them and of couse if they offer any improvement in sealing. Is the construction any different from MLS and what do they mean by stopper layer?

http://www.cometic.com/productpdf/cometic-new-product-14.pdf

Quote;

MLX (Multi-Layer Stopper)
Utilizes an integrated stopper layer for
combustion chamber sealing and improved
clamp load around the cylinder without
increasing bore distortion. MLX technology can
be found in some head gaskets and are made
from the same materials as our MLS Head
Gaskets. No sealants or re-torque required. Ideal
for elevated cylinder pressure and abuse created
by today's modern diesel engines.

Trqmnstr

Reaction score
I know on Harleys the head gaskets are metal. A lot of guys use them but you need to set up the squish band properly.

Mdub707

Reaction score
A few guys on the FB powerstroke page said they had been using these with good luck. I used Cometic a ton on my race quads. Those things ONLY got Honda OEM or Cometic when it came to gaskets.

MrOneEyedBoh

Reaction score
Yeah Cometic is huge in the power sports world. Another gasket for our trucks from Cometic, I'd say should turn out good. They know what they're doing .

jdc753

Reaction score
hmm very curious to this as well. I know Cometic has been around for a loooong while especially with high power stuff.

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread as I'm very curious were it goes.

OEM has always been the "go to" for the 6.0 head gasket, but now with companies like RCD and Cometic getting into the mix, maybe we 'll get some better options. I've used Cometic on Quads for a long time. Always been top notch products, but as we all know, these engines are very picky as to what works well.

I've heard great things about the RCD gaskets, even planned on using them on my truck when I oring the heads.

Sent while driving, drinking coffee and threatening to kill people in traffic.

strokin6L

Reaction score
Matt...you mean the platinum racing gaskets that RCD sells? Those are made from the exact specs as the factory OEM ones from the same company as the OEM ones. Only difference is the sealant is black instead of blue. I plan on using the platinum gaskets as well with mine.

Last edited:

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
Matt...you mean the platinum racing gaskets that RCD sells? Those are made from the exact specs as the factory OEM ones from the same company as the OEM ones. Only difference is the sealant is black instead of blue. I plan on using the platinum gaskets as well with mine.

Yep, most guys are just referring to them as RCD gaskets. But Yes Sir, they are made to OEM specs, on the the same machines IIRC. IMHO, these gaskets are a great alternative to OEM (the RCD's), but if like to get my hands on the Cometic and compare them side by side to the OEM.

Sent while driving, drinking coffee and threatening to kill people in traffic.

Mdub707

Reaction score
The latest Victor Reinz are also made just like that at the same place. I still wouldn't buy them on principle since they screwed tons of shops and customers over with their previously ****ty gaskets.

strokin6L

Reaction score
I know this thread was about cometic, but since we're on the Platinum vs black onyx gaskets....this was posted on RCD's facebook page back on Janurary 5th of this year

River City Diesel, LLC

January 5

6.0L Ford Platinum Racing / Black Diamond Gaskets

After working with Mahle corporation to produce a higher quality product in early 2012, the President of North American sales for Mahle Clevite Corporation visited me with the Regional Sales rep to unveil the new gaskets for the 6.0L Ford. He brought samples with him and compared them to the Ford units and explained to me that Ford held a manufacturing contract with them and they could not manufacture gaskets to compete against Ford / Navistar utilizing their tooling. Anyone in the manufacturing industry knows that when you have a product outsourced and manufactured you are typically responsible to pay for your "tooling" used in the equipment to manufacture your specialized product. Mahle knew this so they used a gasket built by KP Gasket manufacturing located in Japan to build the original all black part number also known as the "Black Onyx" gasket. I myself actually named the gasket before it was known that Mahle had these available and we began to market these back in 2008. I also applied for and own the US trademark for 'Black Onyx" gaskets. Later, at that time many found them and started selling them as "Black Onyx" Which if I wanted, could go back and SUE everyone for millions of dollars who did this for trademark infringement but I just don't work that way.

But anyhow.. Back to my meeting with MAHLE. They took me to lunch explained the issues they had with quality control with the KP gasket and how they addressed this by making their own tooling identical to Ford / Navistar and began using the same material in the same punch press machines yet using the "new" Mahle tooling. Only difference was the fact that they used a black sprayed on sealing ring to make visual identification easy. Again, Same material. Just a different dye. They left me with as quoted "The first ones released to anyone" and at which time I placed a order. We then sat around and joked in my office with what they were going to call them. Black Onyx, Black Diamond etc was all spoke about along with a few other names but no sure pricing structure or "name" of the part.

A few days later we received a Bulk order of them and started to sell them under the name of "Platinum" Which we also have the trademark for. With no standardized pricing being set we sold them for $199 a set and highly discounted them if you purchased a set of ARP 250-4202 studs with them at the same time. Since that time, Mahle released a name and has marketed these gaskets. Something they never had done before with any specific gasket for this engine. With that being said at this time. We will be selling these as the Black Diamond units, in the black diamond packaging. There will also be a price decrease because we will no longer need to sort, label and package these bulk units we were selling before.

Pricing now for the gaskets are as follows.

18mm 149.99
20mm 159.99
Shipped free anywhere in the lower 48.

You will also receive a discount on a stud and gasket package if both are purchased at the same time.

At this time for the 6.4L Applications we are typically selling a different version of gasket that is designed differently and we have had better luck with in our competition 100+ Psi vehicles. This Gasket is NOT sold by Mahle / Victor But again, either will be available.

This should clear up any questions about what you are buying.

Respectfully,

Josh Davis
President,

River City Diesel, LLC
Main (309) 822-0600
Fax (309) 822-0680

Midwest Truck and 4wd Center, LLC
Main (309) 822-0800

East Peoria NAPA
Main (309) 822-8100

River City Machine, LLC
Main (309) 822-0623