COOLANT HELP

jmb

Reaction score
It's my first time using this site still trying to figure everything out. I have a 2008 6.4. The heat stopped working last weekend. The coolant was very very low. I have no leaks at any hoses and the radiator is about 8 months old. where could i be loosing coolant? I have a tuner and dpf and egr delete.

jmb

Reaction score
thanks. i read somewhere that it could be coming out of the exhaust? but theres no sign of that?

sootie

Reaction score
is there a dried white substance around the degas cap?

also pull the oil fill cap and see if there is a milky sludge on the bottom of the cap

08Monster

Reaction score
It would smoke white and smell sweet if it was burning it out the exhaust.

eiorg9

Reaction score
You could be losing it in a few different places. My guess would be at one or multiple spots at the connectors of the Rad Hoses. Ford has since updated these hoses but there are 3 of them and they're $75 each...so $225 for all 3. Also i had an issue with my last radiator(first one lasted 115,000 miles and i had the 2nd OEM Radiator went out in under a year.) The Ford OEM radiator sucks. Plain and simple. I have since installed a Mishimoto and I'm SUPER happy. Mishimoto has also come out with the 3 RAD hoses but they want $450 (Normally $550) but they are all C&C machined and have the double bell house end on both ends rather than just on one side as Ford has done. But what i found was happening to me was that my radiator only started leaking when it got to temps above 190. Which makes sense because thats when the thermometers activate.So it only leaked when i was driving. I had the same symptoms as you do now.

jmb

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I was about 3 1/2 gallons low. Filled it up Friday and been constantly checking for any leaks or anything. Found nothing. Running perfect. Still have no idea where it went? Maybe when I got the radiator put in they didn't fill it up???

cbf9703

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I was about 3 1/2 gallons low. Filled it up Friday and been constantly checking for any leaks or anything. Found nothing. Running perfect. Still have no idea where it went? Maybe when I got the radiator put in they didn't fill it up???

Anything's possible, but if that's the case... shame on you for not glancing at it in 8 months :poke: lol. BTW, welcome!

Mishimoto

Reaction score
You could be losing it in a few different places. My guess would be at one or multiple spots at the connectors of the Rad Hoses. Ford has since updated these hoses but there are 3 of them and they're $75 each...so $225 for all 3. Also i had an issue with my last radiator(first one lasted 115,000 miles and i had the 2nd OEM Radiator went out in under a year.) The Ford OEM radiator sucks. Plain and simple. I have since installed a Mishimoto and I'm SUPER happy. Mishimoto has also come out with the 3 RAD hoses but they want $450 (Normally $550) but they are all C&C machined and have the double bell house end on both ends rather than just on one side as Ford has done. But what i found was happening to me was that my radiator only started leaking when it got to temps above 190. Which makes sense because thats when the thermometers activate.So it only leaked when i was driving. I had the same symptoms as you do now.

Thanks eiorg! Great to hear you are enjoying the radiator. :thumbup:

jmb

Reaction score
Okay well this noting 1 week after adding coolant the head started getting cold again on the way to work then got warm again. Can't find any coolant leaks anywhere????

ThreeFitty

Reaction score
Maybe something is going on with the thermostat? What does ECT get up to? Did you check out your oil?

jmb

Reaction score
Engine temp is normal. So the oil could cause this? Or thermostat?

ThreeFitty

Reaction score
Engine temp is normal. So the oil could cause this? Or thermostat?
Didn't know if you monitored coolant temp, that's what I meant by ECT. And I would say that you could see I you have an internal leak by looking in your oil for coolant. Could be oil cooler like said before. And if you are hit or miss on heat your thermostat may be hanging up both opening and closing. How many miles on the truck?

jmb

Reaction score
120,000 miles. If there is coolant in the oil what does that mean? Expensive? Coolant temp is normal too sorry meant to say coolant on last thread.

Latest posts

Members online