Coolant in oil

lucasm12798

Reaction score
I have a 2001 7.3 powerstroke. The engine was rebuild about 5000 miles ago. The only issue with it is coolant has been leaking into tho oil. What did we do wrong? My guess was a bad head gasket. Any help will be appreciated!

lucasm12798

Reaction score
How do I go about checking this? And how likely is this? The truck has 200000 miles and used to have the **** ran out of it

golfer

Reaction score
Oil cooler failures typically put oil into the coolant due to the oil pressure being significantly higher. In my experience, with these issues it well may be a cracked block.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Oil cooler failures typically put oil into the coolant due to the oil pressure being significantly higher. In my experience, with these issues it well may be a cracked block.

Im with him^

Oil cooler will let oil into the coolant.

Reaction score

It's like injector cups, fuel always goes into coolant because the higher pressure system pushes into the lower one. Could be head gasket or cracked block/heads.

golfer

Reaction score
as much as I hate to agree/reiterate my point...

you're more likely to have a cracked cylinder wall than a blown head gasket on a 7.3L.

I've written a detailed diagnostic procedure for testing the block for a crack, without pulling the engine and magnafluxing or visual inspection...but don't have time to search for it.

basically you'll drain the oil, leave the oil pan nut off...

apply air pressure to your cooling system, and bar the engine over to see if coolant begins pouring out the oil pan drain hole...

if you do have coolant coming out of the oil pan, with pressure on cooling system...

you can isolate which cylinder it is, by pressurize each cylinder THROUGH the glow plug hole..and bar the engine over (with pressure to that cylinder)..you'll most likely find a point (in that cylinders piston position)...where the pressure will transfer to the cooling system, and then back to the oil pan (as you rotate the engine over< basically allowing the piston to 'direct' the pressure either back into the cooling system or back to the oil pan)

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Yes but what happens when you shut down the engine... Coolant system pressure than over rides oil pressure.

Just as I've seen in cracked cups. Hell, last cup job I did I had fuel making its way into cooling system, then when truck was off I watched the fuel bowl fill up with coolant. The fuel tank was half coolant.

lucasm12798

Reaction score
We're talking about rebuilding the engine. Again... If the block does have a crack or what not in it won't there be quite a bit of coolant in the crankcase?

Latest posts

Members online