coolant In Oil !

jmb

Reaction score
Alright... Here's the story 2008 6.4. Heat stopped working 2 weeks ago. Was about 3 gallons low. Added coolant and heat started working. Today it stopped again and had to add 1/2 gallon of coolant. No coolant leaks on any hoses, radiator is less than a year old. Checked oil dipstick and could smell coolant with the oil.... What do I have to do now???:confused:

ThreeFitty

Reaction score
Headgasket, oil cooler are two things I would check. Won't blown headgasket fug with heat? I know on 6.0's they do

webb06

Reaction score
Alright... Here's the story 2008 6.4. Heat stopped working 2 weeks ago. Was about 3 gallons low. Added coolant and heat started working. Today it stopped again and had to add 1/2 gallon of coolant. No coolant leaks on any hoses, radiator is less than a year old. Checked oil dipstick and could smell coolant with the oil.... What do I have to do now???:confused:

Was the oil overfull? Does the truck have studs, if so there could be a cracked block, unlikely though.

The coolant is obviously going somewhere. Does it smoke white like its being burned? Is the truck stock?

G Racing

Reaction score
It could be the egr coolers. the oil coolers will usually put oil in the coolant. If you have coolant in the oil, the oil will be milky white looking.

jmb

Reaction score
Okay I was wrong. There is no coolant in the oil. The EOT and ECT are normal no changes or overheating. No signs of leaks at any hoses. Radiator is 8 months old. Heat started bolwing cold and coolant was 3 1/2 gallons low. Filled it up and heat worked for almost a week then blew cold again. Coolant was 1/2 gallon low, filled it up again....... now what??? Oil level is perfect... where's the coolant going??? Help!

Dzchey21

Reaction score
My guess with the EGR being delete and the oil not looking milky that the head gaskets are blown. The reason the heat is not working is because the compression in over pressurizing the cooling system and essentially the water is staying stagnant in the block and not flowing to the heater core or radiator.

I have heard of some 6.4 owners having some issues with this but you are loosing coolant so i dont think thats it.

Only other thing would be too look at the hood above the degas bottle where you fill the cooling system. If its white there and all over the battery and other stuff then the thermostats could be causing the entire issue .

jmb

Reaction score
No white residue near degas bottle. Anything else it could be?

Autoguns

Reaction score
No smoke, No foaming in the oil and no leak found... Maybe you had an air pocket in the block from the radiator swap that is working its way out.

ThreeFitty

Reaction score
After 8 months still an air bubble of that large of size? I wouldn't think so but for your sake I hope so

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
If you're fully deleted and no milkshake going on then you have a blown head gasket, do you have any coolant blowing out of the rad cap after a full throttle run ?

Latest posts

Members online