Coolant Surges at Degas Tank

Super Scott

Reaction score
Alright guys I have been dealing with this for a few weeks now. I just did a full egr delete and dpf of course is gone. I also put on a new stant coolant cap that is recommended to replace the factory one. It seems whenever I get on the tuck a little and drive hard, but not real hard just a little fun. That I get coolant burping out of the degas bottle. I'm running on a factory tow tune with my H&S, so I'm really not pushing the truck to hard that I would think this would happen. I thought maybe it was an air bubble with in the system and it would go away overtime, but it still happens. I tried to pull a vacuum on it using a shop vac, let it idle and ensured that it was never over filled. I just can't figured out why this keeps happening. Doesn't really seem to happen if I drive it real lightly. Checked my oil, not milky, no white smoke so I am at a loss for this problem. I can't keep refilling it and having blow all over it a mess and is going to get pricey on the coolant side. Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks.

madman1234509

Reaction score
Typical, head gaskets. Time for new ones and some head studs. Its also a symptom of cracked heads, which is typical to find cracks around the exhaust valve seats. When the heads are taken off you should send them out to get surfaced and checked for cracks. If they are cracked new ones from for are 7-800, i recommend going through sunrise ford for the forum member discount, they are a sponsor on here.

Super Scott

Reaction score
I have been trying to find something else besides the hg... lol. I really don't won't that to be the issue or cracked heads at this time. I'm really hoping that this isn't the issue, unfortunately I have to take the truck on a road trip in the next couple days up to PA. I hope that it will make it fine. I've never ran it hard at all trying to prevent any premature failure prior to getting ready to do a build on it. It's only ever seen a 42 psi boost once. I've tried to be as nice to this truck as I could to make it last as long as I can to save up to get it all built right. I've also read on some over posts that guys have had to keep their coolant level below the fill line to ensure it doesn't puke. I keep toping my off back to the upper cold fill line so I'm going to try and keep it down low and see what happens here. fingers crossed for now.

SVTDanny

Reaction score
Mine does the same thing if I fill the coolant up to the marks. Coolant sits about 1" below the marks on the bottle and it doesn't puke. Having a strange heat issue with it as well so I'm sure the headgaskets need done. I'm putting off doing it until it's a bit warmer out... hopefully it doesn't get worse before that time.

sootie

Reaction score
i drove my 08 on a hot tune for 2-3 months after it started puking...just keep a gallon of coolant in the tool box LOL

Super Scott

Reaction score
Glad to hear that folks have been able to run them a little while taking it easy with no major issues. I'm going to have to keep a real close eye on it though. I've got the level in the degas bottle down and went and got another new cap just to make me feel better. I remember about a year or so ago I replaced the lower rad hose and kind of had the same issues and it eventually stopped. It just wasn't quit to this extreme puking all the time. I believe if I keep the coolant level down and watch it I should be alright. I'm just one of those guys that had to have everything at the proper level so with me refilling it al the time that may have been why it kept spitting it back out.

Cknox121

Reaction score
Mine does this. Hard pull up into triple digit speed and it blows. I can do small hard pulls, from say 40-70 and 0-60 and it will not puke though. It puked once before I did egr delete so I was hoping it was that.

I have replaced coolant cap, egr delete and dpf delete and running custom tuning on h&s and still pukes when given hell. Been like this for about 3 months, maybe has puked 3 times.

Pretty sure head gaskets, might tackle the job this summer. Seems like it's going to cost $3500+ in parts to do it myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Super Scott

Reaction score
Mine does this. Hard pull up into triple digit speed and it blows. I can do small hard pulls, from say 40-70 and 0-60 and it will not puke though. It puked once before I did egr delete so I was hoping it was that.

I have replaced coolant cap, egr delete and dpf delete and running custom tuning on h&s and still pukes when given hell. Been like this for about 3 months, maybe has puked 3 times.

Pretty sure head gaskets, might tackle the job this summer. Seems like it's going to cost $3500+ in parts to do it myself.

Yeah that sounds about right. I guess I really need to start saving to get this thing built and solid. I've got a good buddy that has a shop and lift so its just a matter of getting all the parts and time in the shop to do it. What level do you keep your degas bottle at? I just get so nervous because I have so much money wrapped up in this truck for something to go out when I've been doing my best to take real good care of it. Just gets nerve wracking at times when you do everything... :morons:

Cknox121

Reaction score
Yeah that sounds about right. I guess I really need to start saving to get this thing built and solid. I've got a good buddy that has a shop and lift so its just a matter of getting all the parts and time in the shop to do it. What level do you keep your degas bottle at? I just get so nervous because I have so much money wrapped up in this truck for something to go out when I've been doing my best to take real good care of it. Just gets nerve wracking at times when you do everything... :morons:

I keep it 1/2 to 3/4 full. Drive it normal and it will be fine till you have the cash to do gaskets. Just don't raw hide it.

Large investment but will be reliable for a long time after it has studs. I would suggest doing a oil cooler while your in there, possibly a hpfp.

Won't start on mine for at least another 6+ months.

Super Scott

Reaction score
Sounds good. I def have had it on the list of things to do just got to get that cash flow right for it. Oil cooler is a must. Had to do all the little things before I can move on to the big stuff, that's why I have been treating it real well. Getting a built tranny is going to hurt as well. Now I'm gonna start a thread on the ccv delete to see if it's worth doing before I take my road trip? Gotta love the truck never ends... always something to be getting into. Good thing I love working on it, at least while it's not broke down. lol

Latest posts

Members online