Cracked another piston......

co04cobra

Reaction score
It's not a matter of if cracking pistons, more of a matter of when.

I know it's not always in the budget to do them, but I would have took out a loan to put them in when it's tore down. With a common known problem, like they are, it's money saved in the long run.

That is in no way a "told you so" type statement. Just a general statement for anybody else that may end up in the same situation.

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
Going to cut the pistons in half to see if it's a casting flaw??? I remember seeing a picture of one that made me sick to my stomach!

I offered this once before but I could probably get a buddy of mine at my last place of employment to cut pistons up for free if anyone wants to see the inside. (we also do macro etching, and hell even have an SEM that will magnify to 30,000X!!) It's a full metalurgical lab... I don't have the stroke I use to but I'm sure they'd do it for me.

B585Ford

Reaction score
I am betting on a chitter set of pistons than "normal"...by no means and expert but as stated already, I have seen a number of stock pistons take a lot more abuse.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

GotStroke

Reaction score
which tuning platform? SCT tables don't directly mimic H&S tables

just curious

H&S MCC

HD Coated for sure, considering more to prevent further issues

mine was build 9/09 didn't know if they had a bad batch go through then, or if anyone else had knows of a truck with similar build date with similar issues.

DieselSD

Reaction score
H&S MCC

HD Coated for sure, considering more to prevent further issues

mine was build 9/09 didn't know if they had a bad batch go through then, or if anyone else had knows of a truck with similar build date with similar issues.

I am also a 2010 09/09 build with just 50k and I most recently started my upgrading by deleting the DPF/Doc with an H&S. Next is EGR coolers, piping and blah bah blah bah blah..the normal stuff before engine work gets done.....The truck only get 16 miles put on it per day and I have had no issues so far.

Fingers crossed.

NathannialD

Reaction score
i really dont like guys saying if the cylinders have "good" cross hatch just throw pistons in it. That is terrible advice, maybe it has excessive blowby because the cylinders are oval which they always are.... if you are going to do pistons id suggest spending the extra money and having the block measured. In reality it probably needs bored and torque plate honed to be assembled properly. just my opinion.....

GotStroke

Reaction score
i really dont like guys saying if the cylinders have "good" cross hatch just throw pistons in it. That is terrible advice, maybe it has excessive blowby because the cylinders are oval which they always are.... if you are going to do pistons id suggest spending the extra money and having the block measured. In reality it probably needs bored and torque plate honed to be assembled properly. just my opinion.....

I will definitely check into that, now I'm also concerned about my injectors and HPFP screwing up, and blowing all the effort up in smoke.

6.4 Stroker

Reaction score

Agreed, my engine had .010 taper and was out of round with only 100k.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.