Cracked Block

Trav-O

Reaction score
Many people having cracked blocks on the 6.4Ls? I guess my the block is cracked on my 6.4...

Trav-O

Reaction score
I was told hairline cracks at the studs. Teflon paste didn't work, crankcase filling with water now. When I bought the truck, had an oil sample done. All elements came back good. Now 1,900 miles later, I have a cracked block.

This might be end of my diesel days, I am spent and didn't get to enjoy my truck at all.

Last edited:

08BIGRIG

Reaction score
That is crazy!!! Totally sucks that this had to happen and you didnt even get to enjoy the truck at all.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Sure wish I could tell you
Head studs can't be blamed these two had both brands of studs

Not sure to me the cracks look.like they are from forces pulling on block near the head stud...and not from the stud torque, more like cylinder pressure.

Wish I knew if this is going to be an issue

AllanB

Reaction score
Anyone know what the mods were on both trucks? How much boost they were running? I know there are several of y'all running quite a bit of boost and hp. If it were going to be something that shows up in most 6.4's, looks like it would have already showed up to me.

To the OP. Hate to hear that for ya Bud. Really does suck to get bad news like that.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
The one had every tuning available since day one.

It's a 900 HP truck max boost of about 60, compounds always had made good torque. We kinda thought maybe allot of high horse power miles... Didn't want to freak people out about it.

Not sure how much more I can say about it def not the biggest build several others like it daily driven Truck

Last edited:

gman1

Reaction score
Where at? I know of another cracked one

I know where another cracked one is. :doh: A well known shop owner told me this when I asked about it: From what we have seen the casting is thin in some of the upper headbolt areas. Some trucks are ok, others no way. The teflon paste fixes it and so far we haven't seen any issues after doing that.

mike@haller's

Reaction score
The paste only stops it from coming up the threads of the stud. Once the crack spreads to the galley right in front of the lifters, the paste doesnt work any more.

Latest posts

Members online