Crank no start 09

Kyle308

Reaction score
Hey guys got a buddies 09 6.4 the injection pump locked up on it. I pulled the cab put a reman pump from ford in with a new cover kit. Cleaned out a the rails and lines. Bled the fuel system all morning. Went through 6 gallons of fuel bleeding from the rear banjo and shrader valve. Still no start. Rail pressure is at about 6k when you first hit it then drops to 5100 still no start. Rpms reading sync is okay. Interlock is good. No codes. It kinda pops no smoke no hydra lock. New batteries new starter too. New fuel filters. Anyone have any pointers? I'm thinking about doing a compression test on the cylinders I can easily get to. Thanks!

webb06

Reaction score
I guess the injectors weren't filled with metal when the pump failed?

Might be worth your time to pull one injector flip it upside down and reconnect the line and watch as someone cranks and see what the spray patter, if any, looks like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Im betting injectors as well. I have had two trucks where the pump failed, truck would build rail pressure but wouldn't start, Basically the injectors are sticking open or shut, is there fuel in the downpipe? With 5K rail it should start no problem.

webb06

Reaction score
How do you guys flush the low side?

Pull the tank and clean it out. Probably want to replace the low pump too unless you think you can clean it out. Replace the fuel cooler. To do it right....anything that fuel touches needs to be replaced.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Drop the tank, drain it, and clean it out as good as possible with papertowels or whatnot as far as your arm will reach in there. Also, flush the lines from the pump to motor, as well as tank to pump, head passages, secondary filter bowl, and any other things that are reused with brake cleaner until it is clean coming out onto a clean shop rag or paper towel. And as stated previously, replace the cooler, injectors, low pressure pump (as its a return system), and probably replace the injection pump again just n case it got any metal in it from the tank, cooler, etc.

Kyle308

Reaction score
Thanks a lot guys. I should've known better when I pulled the old pump and it was locked up. But you live and learn and next time I'll know hahaa

Latest posts

Members online