Crank no start

duddy

Reaction score
Crank no start.
A shorted out across the glow plugs relay, now get a no start issue.
Any simple checks, I'm not familiar with the 7.3, it's a 01.
I Havnt touched the truck yet, I know it's not getting any fuel, doesn't smoke while cranking.

SlowSmoke

Reaction score
Crank no start.
I Havnt touched the truck yet, I know it's not getting any fuel, doesn't smoke while cranking.

The glow plugs got shorted out? Cause these trucks will not start without glow plugs. Does it sound like it's trying to start or not at all?

Arisley

Reaction score
The glow plugs got shorted out? Cause these trucks will not start without glow plugs. Does it sound like it's trying to start or not at all?

Huh?

I drove my truck with bad glow plugs for one winter, all summer and half of another winter. Started fine down to 45º. Below that I had to plug it in.

If you are not getting fuel, there is your problem.

SlowSmoke

Reaction score
Huh?

I drove my truck with bad glow plugs for one winter, all summer and half of another winter. Started fine down to 45º. Below that I had to plug it in.

If you are not getting fuel, there is your problem.

You had a few bad glow plugs or no glow plugs? Those trucks will barely start with a bad glow plug relay and no intake heater. We also live in Canada so our idea of warm and cold is different. I was more getting at his post didn't make sense about the relay

ToMang07

Reaction score
You had a few bad glow plugs or no glow plugs? Those trucks will barely start with a bad glow plug relay and no intake heater. We also live in Canada so our idea of warm and cold is different. I was more getting at his post didn't make sense about the relay

Ok....intake heater doesn't do dik for starting, it's only to control smoke when idling at cold temps.

Glow plugs....yes you can start without them, although it will take a little longer cranking. I'll go unplug my GPR and prove it if you'd like.

Isobaric

Reaction score

Hmmm. My 7.3 has been running around with blanks in the GP holes for 2 years now. Starts unassisted down to 20F, and will go much lower with a block heater or a snort of ether.

I would check all fuses and fusible links.

SlowSmoke

Reaction score
Hmmm. My 7.3 has been running around with blanks in the GP holes for 2 years now. Starts unassisted down to 20F, and will go much lower with a block heater or a snort of ether.

I would check all fuses and fusible links.

Ok I stand corrected. There ya go. We have replaced hundreds of glow plugs for rough starting trucks and they clear right up. Just my 2 cents. Do whatever you want!

TyCorr

Reaction score
They didnt say it starts easy.

When I changed mine last fall three were working right. The day I changed them it was 12 degrees. It was starting fine. Does it start easier now, yes. Quicker.

Isobaric

Reaction score
Ok I stand corrected. There ya go. We have replaced hundreds of glow plugs for rough starting trucks and they clear right up. Just my 2 cents. Do whatever you want!

She chooch's for a few minutes on a cold start, and a gear reduction starter is necessary...but after having to pull the head to retrieve a stuck GP tip (Beru) I vowed to fix the issue permanently.

Arisley

Reaction score
Crank no start.

WTS light coming on/off?

Tach moving? Voltage?

Check all fuses to begin with.

OK, we got that all settled.

Duddy, is it still not working. Have you troubleshot any further.

duddy

Reaction score
OK, we got that all settled.

Duddy, is it still not working. Have you troubleshot any further.
Crank speed is at 200
No injector buzzing
Keogh test came up 1663,380,1283. Fdcs circuit fault, glow plug circuit fault, ipr circuit fault

Fuses and relays all check. Going to pull the edge box out next

Arisley

Reaction score
SD_Wiring_Diagram.jpg

duddy

Reaction score
Pcm for the win. Must have fried it when shorting out the glow plugs relay. Thanks for the schematics Risley. 👍

Latest posts