Cutting out under steady pedal?

yotaneck13

Reaction score
Ok i had this problem a while ago. I was on my way to meet a fellow psa member. He was meeting me to trade his injectors and turbo for my dirtbike.

Anyways cruising down the interstate truck starts surging. Like something was binding up. My buddy and i thought the rear diff was locking up. So i limped it back home. I pulled my rear axels and driveshaft. This seemed to fix the problem.

Drove on my front axel about a week and it started doing the same thing again. This time it was doing it under light pedal on back roads. I yanked my transfercase and rebuilt it. New chain and berings and seals. I reinstalled the rear axels and drive shaft. Problem went away again.

Fast foward two weeks to last saturday. Problem is back. Again just driving normal back roads. Im holding my foot steady and it sounds/feels like im feathering the throttle. I hooked the modis up. Multiple codes from way back.
I did get a map sensor code and a glow plug indicator code. Wts light does not come on and hasnt for a while. (No blown fuse that im aware of. Ive checked them several times. Both under hood and above e brake.)

Injectors all passed the buzz test. Glowplugs passed their test. Cylinder 8 failed contribution test. Im stumped. Could a bad map sensor cause this? I replaced gauge cluster and throttle sensot on pedal last fall when i lost my pedal completly.

Under wot it does not surge and my boot gauge settles at just above 20 through out all gears. Truck is currently not running anykind of tuner. I just have an intake and straight pipe exhaust. Any help would be appreciated...and or bashing if ive missed something simple.

NOTE: truck is a 2000 f350 cclb drw. 4x4 auto. Just over 215k

sent while hittin' easy street on mud tires

yotaneck13

Reaction score
No i dont. Are you talking the one on the pedal assembly its self? I replaced that last fall. Mabye ill bolt the old one back on and see if it changes. It wouldnt act up while i had the modis hooked up running data stream. So i dont know if im loosing signal to the pedal or not.

PWRstroke_smoke

Reaction score
Friend had these symptoms and it was the wire harness that connects above the driver side valve cover. It was rubbing and causing a short on the valve cover, it didnt fall down and rub until it was warm under the hood worse on rough roads.

Big Calo

Reaction score
No i dont. Are you talking the one on the pedal assembly its self? I replaced that last fall. Mabye ill bolt the old one back on and see if it changes. It wouldnt act up while i had the modis hooked up running data stream. So i dont know if im loosing signal to the pedal or not.

Yes, electric is the worse. At least you have some sort of scanner to help you along.

yotaneck13

Reaction score
Quick glance at the harness and it doesnt look like its rubbed raw. What connector are you talking about. The one for the injector harness.

yotaneck13

Reaction score
Found that connector. One pale color wire is worn into but not clear through casing. Other than that it looks good. I was really hoping that was my problem. I really think its electrical at this point though.

yotaneck13

Reaction score
No i said that wasnt my issue. The wire wasnt worn clear through. I wrapped it in electrical tape and then the whole harness right there. To prevent it causing any issues in the future. Its still doing it.

Its really bad when im just starting out from a stop or trying to creep along at a slow speed while spotting deer. It only does it every once in a while while at 55 cruising on the road though. No problem at all if im wot.

yotaneck13

Reaction score
Has new motorcraft cps i replaced that just because it wasnt a motorcraft. And new tps last fall. Just put new window motors in my front windows. So i can check that off my long list lol.

Going to put the old tps back in now and see what happens.

yotaneck13

Reaction score
Swapped back to the tps i took out last fall when i lost my pedal completely. Hasnt cut out yet. Ill see what it does in the morning when i leave for work. Or spotting tonight

yotaneck13

Reaction score
Chugged up and down all the back roads smooth as can be tonight.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Good thing you jumped right to rebuilding the T-case... because those always cause surge issues...LOL

yotaneck13

Reaction score
It was leaking and had tons of slop. Not a big deal i just prevented any fugure problems

Latest posts

Members online