Cylinder #2 misfire and exhaust valve not closing all the way

dozer

Reaction score
Quoted from my mechanic.

"It's an 08 6.4(egr/dpf deleted), 53k miles, just did new head gaskets/studs/elite push rods/springs. did the fuel system priming and cranking for a bit to start it, got it started and about 30 seconds into idling, it started misfiring cyl. #2, swapped cyl. 2 & cyl. 4 injectors, misfire stayed with cyl.2. Checked compression and its 0 psi, not even a bump in the needle. bumped it over to check valve operation, and I&E go up and down perfect. BUT the exhaust rocker never loosens up (not able to wiggle it) like the rest of the rockers. loosened up the rocker stand when both rocker were on overlap and applied air to cylinder thru glow plug hole and it holds air and it actually pushed the piston down a little. SO can these rockers stayed TOO pumped up to not allow the valves to fully close?

AND the engine never revved over 1500 rpm since first started with misfire.

Thanks, this things got me worked up a bit"

dozer

Reaction score
He checked the length against the intake pushrod and its the exact same length. It's ran fine since last year when the pushrods were installed.

zippyrat

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
you can put the pushrods in upside down I heard of a guy doing this, and he had simalar problems .
I think there is a gold end and a silver end. iirc

Bair

Reaction score
On my truck when I got it cylinder 7 had 0 compression. One pushrod was not installed correctly which held the valve partially open.

Bair

Reaction score
Nope, pulled th pushrod to check for straightness, reinstalled it, an compression was right there within spec.

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
And the pushrods have different colored ends because one has a metal surface pivoting on it all the time (Rocker arm end). The color has nothing to do with direction, only an indicator of what end was where in the engine.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.