DEF quality

cowboystyle

Reaction score
Is there any reason to buy the good DEF? or is it ok to buy the cheapest you can find?

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
I'd ask what's the amount of savings versus a denial in warranty costs you will pay?

Hell I'd say you need to ALWAYS buy from Ford. Keep the receipts and log every fill up. If you ever had to go to court records and receipts will help you.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Def quality isn't going to do much being it's injected mostly downstream of everything exhaust wise.

capt dong

Reaction score
Just from busy shops. Not good to expose to heat and sunlight. I would question a service center if they claimed bad def destroyed a whole entire emissions system unless it was completely crystallized throughout.

Jomax

Reaction score
I buy only ford or Peak. Or should I say did lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
^^^^ This is exactly true. There is a set of chemical compound guidelines/ratings our good ol' government has for DEF that need to be followed when producing it. Remember, we arent dealing with an oil or an antifreeze where there are several different types, weights, additives, etc.... DEF is just DEF. It is there in part to control the emissions output which we all know the government heavily wants everyone to follow and needs to be consistent. I would not be afraid to fill up with any brand of DEF personally as long as it meets the ratings that are in your Ford diesel supplement guide. Its not really that big of a deal, every jug will contain 32.5% urea and 67.5% deionized water. Here is a screen shot of the rating that's called out in the actual Ford 2015 6.7 Power Stroke guide. As long as the jug meets these ratings, I'd run it.

What I would worry about when buying is if the seal, lid or cap has been damaged on the jug. If air has been exposed to DEF for extended periods of time, it beings to crystallize. That would be a case where you would not want to dump that jug into your truck as it could cause problems. Also, always make sure your filler cap is tight on your truck. These systems are essentially a sealed system and very minimum amounts of air make its way in. I dropped my tank on my old truck and dumped it into a 5 gallon bucket to look at it. Not one bit of crystallization and it was sitting in that tank for over 3 years after the parts fell off the truck. On the other hand, working at Cat, DEF has made its way onto the floor and within an a couple hours if its not cleaned up it will begin to crystallize.

No matter what you end up buying, always make sure to keep your receipts and document the mileage you fill up with that product. So that if anything does happen, you know exactly who the manufacture of the product was if Ford says "what you added was contaminated, warranty denied".

Attachments

• DEF.jpg
    DEF.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 93

mandkole

Reaction score
its no longer 2010. In my discussions with heavy truck OEMs, DEF supply is well dialed in. There are lots of distribution competition in this space now and lots of ways to purchase. Like coolant, everything is around industry standard and stick with smaller package sizes that fit your use requirements and assures no contamination.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
We use thousands of gallons of DEF on 3 emissions special requirement egines yearly. I generally buy about 15,000 gallons a year. It's always the same.

Even if the quality was low or messed up you would not destroy a defuser. It's just a stinking grid to help align the atomized urea to the exhaust stream!!! Lol....

You guys are highly over thinking this.

The main thing is it doesn't properly convert NOX unless the exhaust temp is above 650*F

I've seen tanks of urea with what appeared to have algie growing in it. Lol

Latest posts

Members online