DFI Performance - T4 conversion kit review

uw mitch

Reaction score
What's the price on this kit?

Call DFI for exact pricing, but Wes said it'll be a little more than other kits at about $2000. I haven't seen other kits in person, but the stainless cast pedestal is a work of art. Not sure what other kits include, but looking on his website now, I believe his kit also includes the turbo blanket, Y-pipe boots, intake pipe as well as the other stuff you'd expect (pipes, pedestal, hardware, etc).

http://www.dfiperformance.biz/projects/dfi-7-3l-turbo-kit/

~Mitch

CSIPSD

Reaction score
I'm confused why you believe there is an issue having the oil drain into the fuel pump port... Its simple to run, easier to pipe and connect, and drains right to the pan.

I built my own kit, and specifically did NOT want the drain at the back of the turbo.

uw mitch

Reaction score
I'm not an expert, and I'm sure it's not an "issue" as many people do it, including your custom set-up and Jake's kit. It just seems that draining oil from a hot turbo over the cam *might* be less good than draining that oil in the factory location. But like I said, I'm not an expert, and many people have had success with other set-ups. I'm very happy with the set-up on mine, and it didn't seem difficult to run (albeit I just watched Wes do the work I wasn't leaned over the engine).

What was the reason on your set-up that specifically did NOT want the drain at the back of the turbo?

~Mitch

m j

Reaction score
JIC fittings vs hose clamps on the drain is one reason to not go to the factory spot apparently

Reaction score
What's the price on this kit?

When I got pricing awhile back, I was told near $1800-1900 IIRC. Either way, I decided as nice as it may be, it's not really $300-400 nicer than an Irate kit in my mind.. I wanted the Turbonetics kit in a bad way, but you used to be able to get them closer to the price of an Irate kit.

V-Ref

Reaction score
a4yba5u3.jpg

$1399 for me back in the day

uw mitch

Reaction score
Intake is part of the DFI kit. Not sure what sizes they have them for - this worked on a S366 frame. Call 'em and find out. To make everyone's life easy, here's the shop phone number: (503) 543-3353 - they're open generally 9-5 on Pacific time.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
I'm not an expert, and I'm sure it's not an "issue" as many people do it, including your custom set-up and Jake's kit. It just seems that draining oil from a hot turbo over the cam *might* be less good than draining that oil in the factory location. But like I said, I'm not an expert, and many people have had success with other set-ups. I'm very happy with the set-up on mine, and it didn't seem difficult to run (albeit I just watched Wes do the work I wasn't leaned over the engine).

What was the reason on your set-up that specifically did NOT want the drain at the back of the turbo?

~Mitch

Many of us drain the turbo the fuel pump hole in the valley just to have less issues. The routing of the hose is just flat better, doesn't rub anywhere, gives you room to work and install easier, etc.... I've been doing them that way since 2007... maybe early 2008 and I know others were doing it that way before I was. To the best of my knowledge no one has had an issue with the small amount of hot oil dumping onto the unused fuel pump lobe of the camshaft.

uw mitch

Reaction score
Many of us drain the turbo the fuel pump hole in the valley just to have less issues. The routing of the hose is just flat better, doesn't rub anywhere, gives you room to work and install easier, etc.... I've been doing them that way since 2007... maybe early 2008 and I know others were doing it that way before I was. To the best of my knowledge no one has had an issue with the small amount of hot oil dumping onto the unused fuel pump lobe of the camshaft.

Thanks for that insight.

~Mitch

Latest posts

Members online