Did my clutch hydraulics just fail?

clydesdale

Reaction score
I started the truck, went to put it in gear and no good. It won't go into any gear. I shut the truck off and it will then go into each gear. I popped the hood and the clutch cylinder is empty. Did my hydraulics crap out? Is there something I can fill in there to limp me to a better location or do I just need to buy a pre-bled unit from Ford? Thanks.

Does the diagnosis seem straight forward or is there often more to the story. I am hoping I just need to buy a pre-bled unit. Do I stick with Ford or is there an aftermarket that is worth it.

clydesdale

Reaction score
The pedal does not go to the floor. This happened to me once before and the pedal did go to the floor and I had to lift it up. This time the reservoir is bone dry but the clutch feels off a little, but it does not go to the floor. This time I also have a south bend clutch, which removes the spring assist. I wonder if that has anything to do with it. I am hoping the dry reservoir is the indicator that the hydraulics have left the building.

clydesdale

Reaction score
I just checked and something weird happened. I pumped the pedal a good 5 or 6 times. It felt ok. I started the truck up and the damn thing works fine. The reservoir is still empty, so I don't think my truck just fixed itself. ??

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Look for brake fluid under the truck. Look around the slave cylinder

clydesdale

Reaction score
I looked. I did not see anything. I saw that on another site they talk about it leaking internally.

ju015dd

Reaction score
Better go ahead and get a new one. Mine crapped out on me 6 months ago, left me stranded on the side of the rd for a night.

patricku47

Reaction score
When I changed my clutch mine decided to eat the fluid and acted the same way. I have no idea where the fluid went as there was none in the bell housing, none on the ground and the entire underside of the truck was dry. I refilled it, pulled the slave cylinder out of the bell housing, opened the clutch master cylinder reservoir and pushed the slave cylinder by hand until there were no more bubbles coming from the master cylinder. That was about 2500 miles ago and I have not had a problem since. I do have a new master/slave with brake fluid in the tool box just in case though.

mandkole

Reaction score
IIRC, the master is routed up from underneath the truck along the firewall. It can be a pain due to the line being attached then the filled/bled assy just bolts in like the old one. A little time consuming, but quite easy.

clydesdale

Reaction score
I replaced my hydraulics and all seemed fine. I went for a 10 mile drive. When I got back I went to change gears and it would not shift. I shut the truck off, pumped the clutch 5 times and now it works fine again. Bad part? Air bubble? Big problems?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.