Diesel Performance Industry Ethics Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe@Ideal

Reaction score
I would like to know if this is typical of businesses in the diesel performance world. I lost my turbo back towards the end of the Confederate Diesel blowup and was ready to go to an aftermarket turbo kit. With my knowledge of manufacturing, there was no way I was rolling the dice with CD. In my searching for a kit I came across a company that appears to be a very high quality operation. They had replacement turbo kits on their website. They even had a shopping cart and checkout options. I called them up for the details and was told that yes they were selling the kits, all the R&D was done, and there would be a two week delivery due to the cost of the turbos and that they didn’t stock them. They required $2000 down to order the turbo and in those two weeks they would prepare the kit and ship it out.

Meanwhile, I use my truck a lot with my business and down time was a major concern. I’m pretty sure I relayed this on the phone. I thought the price was high, but so is the quality and I could get by for a couple of weeks so I placed the order.

I’m NINE WEEKS in now. I haven’t been able to get a straight answer. Phones don’t get answered. Emails go un-responded to. Likely that’s because I’ve had enough and asked for my money back. I feel I have been lied to in nearly every communication that did take place. There is no doubt in my mind I have been strung along from day one so that I would place the order and my $2000 could be held hostage. Or maybe it’s funding someone else’s project or something. I don’t know but I do know this is no way to treat a paying customer.

So my question is: Is this just the nature of the industry? Is anyone out there trustworthy?

David N

Reaction score
So you're not referring to Confederate Diesel?

Who is this Mystery Company?

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
my guess, would be somebody thought the machine or fabricated parts would be ready in the time frame given. then , i assume some stuff has happened in that process causing the holdup. the un-responsiveness however is a different animal. no matter what, i always feel comfortable if the company stays in contact the whole time. i'd be pissed if they didnt return calls or emails.

OBS F350

Reaction score
Not knowing what shop you're talking about but for the most part anything in this industry shy of buying an exhaust, intake, tuner or something simple like that is subject to huge waits for one reason or another. I am by no means saying the shop is in the right here. I've seen people wait longer for things. Again not saying its right but it does happen. As for the not answering phones I can't say anything on that, that should not be the case or they should at least be more informative to you as to what's going on. I would definitely not be happy either if I wasn't being updated on why there are delays etc.

Joe@Ideal

Reaction score
At this point I don't want to mention any names. I have been a business owner for over 20 years and I understand the struggles that go with it. 4 weeks in I had to get threatening to get a response. At that time I told them I understand these things and that bad news is better than no news. That fell on deaf ears apparently. No news or false good news is the policy.

JMart

Reaction score
Never, ever be in a time demand when it comes to anything custom.

I have heard of guys waiting months to years for their trucks depending on the size of the job.

But if someone doesn't respond back within a week I am calling up my cc company and disputing charges. There is absolutely no reason to ignore a paid customer. If they don't want to keep you updated they don't want your money.

TripleE44

Reaction score
Unfortunately, you are not the first in the diesel industry to have this issue. It seems to happen a lot with companies that seem to get a little to busy for what they can actually handle. I don't get it, and there's been stories of trucks sitting at shops for damn near years and I just am floored at how ok with it some people are.

bricewise

Reaction score
I feel your pain brother. And its frustrating to say the least.

Reaction score
I can't imagine taking someone's money and not responding. Being on both ends now (customer and seller), there is nothing more painful than telling someone the truth about why they don't have their promised/expected product. But lying is something that I/we could never feel ok with. It may make someone upset, but if the customer can't be content with honest answers and timely responses, then it is better not to do business with them. Some companies putting bad reputations on the diesel industry make it hard for the good ones.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
I can't imagine taking someone's money and not responding. Being on both ends now (customer and seller), there is nothing more painful than telling someone the truth about why they don't have their promised/expected product. But lying is something that I/we could never feel ok with. It may make someone upset, but if the customer can't be content with honest answers and timely responses, then it is better not to do business with them. Some companies putting bad reputations on the diesel industry make it hard for the good ones.

i know the pain.. sucks when product gets behind.

Joe@Ideal

Reaction score
To be fair, lying might be too strong a word. I've had employees set me up with bad information and passed it along making me look pretty bad. My big problem is this has happened enough times that their credibility is completely shot. If I can't get reliable information as to what is going on, how could I trust the description that the finished product isn't going to send my rods through the block?

Gotta hit the sheets. Thanks for the input guys.

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score

well put morgan!!!

powerSmokin

Reaction score
Find a better shop. They have no passion or care for the customer if it's been 9 weeks and YOU can't get an answer as to what's going on. Contact the better business beureu and file a complaint. If you give us the company name we can at least tell ya if they are good or bad.

Try to find a sponser on here that is close to your location. If you aren't close, find or ask around for a member that could help you out.

Last edited:

powerstrokedkid87

Reaction score
Its certainly tough trying to make a name for yourself in the industry especially when things like this happen. As morgan said, things like this make a bad name for the good ones. Also on both ends of the sale, Bad news is better than no news. We have had project where unexpected bumps come up, machine shop parts take longer, parts get back ordered ect. But commination is key. Im sure the OP would be much more satisfied if he had a truthful response of why parts were delayed. While he may be unhappy with the reason, at least he has the truthful reason. Waiting for custom parts sucks, but that's the game you play when you get to a level of "not standard" anymore.

O2ShootTheJ

Reaction score
Unfortunately, you are not the first in the diesel industry to have this issue. It seems to happen a lot with companies that seem to get a little to busy for what they can actually handle. I don't get it, and there's been stories of trucks sitting at shops for damn near years and I just am floored at how ok with it some people are.

+1

There are a few companies that won't get another dime from me.

2006.1f250

Reaction score
I don't get it, and there's been stories of trucks sitting at shops for damn near years and I just am floored at how ok with it some people are.

Some times things just snowball and the next thing you know, it's 6 years later. :shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online