Do i really need a built tranny?

jb03

Reaction score
Im looking for some clarification over built trannys. Ive got a 03 f350 7.3. 8inches of lift and 37s and eventually 14 and 40s. I drive the truck around town to work and school. Nothing crazy nor alot of towing. I do hope to eventually run a 38r though. Should I get a built tranny like BTS or just maybe a suncoast rebuild kit with a stronger torque convertor?

TyCorr

Reaction score
Umm, why? Is it working properly? If you aren't planning to run bigger inj' s then don't waste your time. Get the biggest cooler(s) you can and wait for the converter to grenade. Speaking of, what you need 40's to.ride around town? I've had em, they suck. 37s were ok. 35s are great. Driveability is great with 35s and goes down increasingly faster the bigger you go. The 38r isn't gonna do muuuch without a race tune or bigger injectors, fyi.

jb03

Reaction score
I am eventually. I thought by saying 38r it assumed i was doing a mild build. Bigger injectors, custom tuning, etc. Im just an 18 year old that wants a bigger truck lol.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Yea, I wouldn't put another stocker in. Unless you have one. Things is, if you keep it cool and get somebody to keep your converter locked via tuning it should live a long time. You probably ought to be careful with inj and power adders until you know if you have powdered metal rods or forged rods. My late 03 had pmrs.(Well late for the 7.3 run)

TARM

Reaction score
If you get tunes that defuel on the shifts. You could get by with a upgrades TQ converter and VB. But then at your age you will need to show some restraint. Make sure you are gearing properly for the tire size as to not do that is just adding that much more stress to the trans. For 38-40 you need 4.56s

jb03

Reaction score
My truck does have pmrs so i kinda need to be careful. Trying conservatively is kinda hard at my age lol. Maybe I should just spend the money on a built tranny and not have to worry about it. I think 4.56s are perfect. What do you guys think about lockers? is it worth it?

alradco

Reaction score
I wouldn't bother until you need it. With the light driving you do it could be a year or more before you need it. If you have about $4000 burning a hole in your pocket though...

I just went through a build, mine was on the way out.

TARM

Reaction score
Its gonna all come down to how you drive it. If you are going to beat on it then just blow it up and go get a built one when it happens. But if you are take a little care for about $500-$1K you can make some additions that could have it last many miles.

jb03

Reaction score
ok thanks so much for the help. Il do 4.56s with no lockers. (lot less cheaper to haha). Im hoping a suncoast torque convertor and valve body might be enough.

Latest posts

Members online