Does a good TC help keep trans temps down?

TyCorr

Reaction score
My cts may show it taking a second but the electronic.delay is greater.

golfer

Reaction score
The tuning can keep the converter unlocked in 2nd, 3rd or even 4th if it's tuned as such.

also, the converter lockup duty cycle can be manipulated to 'bring in' converter lock at a higher or lower DC...which could account for an electronic "delay"...after a scan tool (monitor) says it's locked (with a low DC).

always-strokin

Reaction score
e4od has no duty cycle though; its either engaged or disengaged right?

Also, wouldn't it be considered poor tuning to leave the tc unlocked in 2, 3, and 4th gear?

golfer

Reaction score
Also, wouldn't it be considered poor tuning to leave the tc unlocked in 2, 3, and 4th gear?

not necessarily, it just depends on the application.

a big single turbo truck with 400% nozzles (in a 'street' tune) would need the converter to be unlocked in 4th if it needed to be 'clean' while accelerating, even at hwy speeds, until the turbo comes on boost.

I mean...you could have the converter locked, but if you wanted to accelerate from 50/55mph to 70mph (say, entering the interstate on positive grade 'on ramp')...it would either not accelerate (PW cut waayyy back & no boost) very quickly...or it would likely be a smokey mess with the converter locked.

the e4OD tuning (I use) doesn't allow for PW modulation for the converter...but since the transmissions (E4OD & 4R100) and converters are identical (for all intents & purposes)...you could control an e4OD to have PWM duty cycle with a stand alone controller, or even perhaps existing tuning software that I don't use (for a regular TS style chip).

Last edited:

always-strokin

Reaction score
Man your smart... thanks for the information. I didn't know that about the bigger injectors vs torque convertor duty cycle, but it sure makes sense.

What do you mean the e4od tuning that you use doesn't allow for PW modulation of the convertor? I'm not following.

golfer

Reaction score
Man your smart... thanks for the information. I didn't know that about the bigger injectors vs torque convertor duty cycle, but it sure makes sense.

What do you mean the e4od tuning that you use doesn't allow for PW modulation of the convertor? I'm not following.

not as smart as I thought... :lame2:

I just talked to our tranny guy...nope...you're correct @ the E4.

the e4OD trans simply doesn't have the same 'valve' as a 4R100 to allow for PWM converter lockup..it's either open or closed..locked or unlocked.

always-strokin

Reaction score
not as smart as I thought... :lame2:

I just talked to our tranny guy...nope...you're correct @ the E4.

the e4OD trans simply doesn't have the same 'valve' as a 4R100 to allow for PWM converter lockup..it's either open or closed..locked or unlocked.

I really laughed my ass off when I saw the punching thru the PC thing :thumbsup:

But its ok, I'll probably never hear that second line on here ever again:pimp:

But what does using PW have to do w/ the TC lockup strategy on the 4r? I dont understand the point of it.

Latest posts

Members online