Door Seal Mod

01platinum

Reaction score
I did this along time ago when I first bought the truck. Was a PITA then but I think I could do it again to help a fellow member out. LOL

Strokersace

Reaction score
I went to Lowes and bought the poly-vinyl 1/4" tubing for my OBS. It wasn't a tight fit at all and didn't need any lube to get it thru. The truck's down right now getting an overhaul so I haven't driven it yet. Gonna see how it sounds and if it's not enough, then I'll go with the 3/8". Wasn't hard at all to put the 1/4" in. The doors do shut a little stiffer but not much. Not what I'd pictured after people post up about shutting the doors and how hard of a job it is. At least not with mine anyway.

EpicCowlick

Reaction score
I went to Lowes and bought the poly-vinyl 1/4" tubing for my OBS. It wasn't a tight fit at all and didn't need any lube to get it thru. The truck's down right now getting an overhaul so I haven't driven it yet. Gonna see how it sounds and if it's not enough, then I'll go with the 3/8". Wasn't hard at all to put the 1/4" in. The doors do shut a little stiffer but not much. Not what I'd pictured after people post up about shutting the doors and how hard of a job it is. At least not with mine anyway.

You'll want to watch that poly vinyl closely. It is so hard that continued closings against it may damage the rubber seal. If it gets really cold in the winter, I've heard people say it cracks inside the seal and creates a mess out of the rubber.

Pstroke96

Reaction score
mine has softened up alot since i did it. i dont know if that would change things but after a few days it wasnt any harder to shut than before. but if it is that warn out maybe you should just replace the soor seal itself

HoustonRider

Reaction score
I finally did this today. Last week I ordered 50' of the tubing from amazon here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004HEAFSW/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

I waited until today to get a friend of mine to help. I did it like Epics Vid and lubed each weatherstrip with Silicone spray, ran the fish down one end, I zipped tied the tubing around the fish (then a little electrical tape around it) then pulled the tubing thru, letting it settle a bit first, then cutting off each end with about an inch of tubing on each end.

I re-installed the weatherstripping and cut off the extra tubing where it was joined. 50Ft is plenty to do a crew cab. Its definitely harder to shut the doors, but in a good way. I drove it up and down the street a few times and lubed my latches, and it seemed to close a bit easier.

I had a ANNOYING passenger door rattle that was driving me crazy, and it appears to be gone for good. Hitting bumps and holes, it feels more solid, not as much flex in the doors (or so it seems).

Is worth way more than what I spent. Definitely .

Strokersace

Reaction score
Update on Mine. I've been driving the truck since early Oct. and there's a noticable difference for the better. No wind noise at all, except on a really windy day and it's a sidewind, it'll still pass some. I'm going to go thru the winter with the 1/4" that I used, then maybe change it out to the 3/8" to see if there's any difference. The doors don't really shut any stiffer, but they are more noticably "solid" when they close. I guess they sound like my old SD did when I closed those doors, and not the "tinny" OBS sound.

Poon

Reaction score
I'm going to get supplies for this today and tackle it this weekend. I have wind noise on side winds and a squeek in one of the back doors on bumpy roads that will stop if you just barely touck on the door. I'm pretty sure this MOD will stop that.

01platinum

Reaction score
I'm going to get supplies for this today and tackle it this weekend. I have wind noise on side winds and a squeek in one of the back doors on bumpy roads that will stop if you just barely touck on the door. I'm pretty sure this MOD will stop that.

Yes this mod will fix that problem. Sounds like people are figuring new ways to install this. Like before I have had it on the truck since 04 and not had any noise coming from any of the doors. Only problem is the wife thinking she has to slam the doors now to get them to close. LOL

01Platinum's Command Center

dsberman94

Reaction score
Glad you found this thread. I need to do this. Squeaky doors and I'll get a drip of water in the door at 75-80 during very heavy rains. Weekend project.

deejay

Reaction score
All things considered, what PVC ID worked the best and why. I have just done one door with 1/4 ID and the noise reduction was good and the door is harder to close. Ambient temp is ~90F. Thanks, deejay

Squat and Poot

Reaction score
Even on my ~4 year old truck this made a big difference

installed surgical tubing in my driver door and it solved a door rattle issue for now
door latch feels more secure
cant comment on wind noise since I only did one door

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
So where are you wrapping your exes with the tubing? I dealt with mine today and could really use some outlet for my frustration. :lookaround:

Oh..... the truck, my bad :)

Latest posts

Members online