DOT and Trailer Weight

PABowhunter

Reaction score
Got a question for those more knowledgeable on DOT regulations concerning truck and trailer weights.

We have a tandem axle tag-along trailer at work that is rated for 14,900 (according to the stamp on the tongue). The trailer only grosses 7,800 with all of our gear and equipment on it.

What would it take to be DOT legal to pull this? Would a 250 be legal since the actual trailer weight is only 7,800? Or would I need something larger like a 450 since the trailer is "capable" of 14,900.

I want to make sure there are no grey areas if/when we go through a weigh station or get a DOT check.

Company is in PA, but we work in Maryland, Delaware, and New Jersey.

AirFishAutomotive

Reaction score
it is whatever the truck and trailer gvw is. believe me my company is personally going through this headache now. You should be fine without needing a cdl license since the truck is prob 8800 or so gvw and the trailer is 14,900 bringing it to 23,700. You will still have to have all of your normal dot stuff.

dot number (since its a business)
medical card (I would assume since combined is over 10k)
flares/triangles
break away on trailer
fire extinguisher

and most likely a log book if you are going over 100 miles from home.

I don't think there will be an issue pulling the trailer with 250 but you need to ask someone who pulls with a 250, we use 350/450/550 to pull 7 ton goosenecks and have never had any issues as far as the truck pulling it, even when my 350 drw truck got pulled over there was nothing said about the weight of the truck vs the trailer since the truck gvw is 12,600 (somewhere around there, less then the trailer)

Then they are obviously going to go over the truck and trailer for tires,lug nuts,lights,leaks etc. Also to make sure its all strapped down correctly, (iirc straps have to be at least every 10ft.)

this applies to md & de, I know this first hand....I have dot court in 3 weeks....

Last edited:

PABowhunter

Reaction score
Will a DOT officer look at the manufacturer GCWR?

We also have an e450 that can pull the trailer; however, this puts us into CDL territory and my bosses would like to avoid that.

Don't you need a CDL for trailers over 10,000 lb? Not sure if this is referring to registered weight or what the trailer is actually grossing at the time.

PDT1081

Reaction score
Will a DOT officer look at the manufacturer GCWR?

We also have an e450 that can pull the trailer; however, this puts us into CDL territory and my bosses would like to avoid that.

Don't you need a CDL for trailers over 10,000 lb? Not sure if this is referring to registered weight or what the trailer is actually grossing at the time.
If something seems odd to the DOT officer, they will definitely check the manufacturer GCWR.

CDL is needed for a GCWR of 26,001 lbs and above.

What you are thinking of is the law for Class B CDLs. You can pull a trailer with a Class B, if the trailer is rated for less than 10,000 lbs.

All CDL determinations are decided by the rating, not the actual physical gross weight.

PABowhunter

Reaction score
What if the combination of the GVWR of the truck and trailer is greater than the GCWR of the truck?

For instance: The GVWR of the Trailer is 14,900 and the GVWR of the E450 is 14,000. Adding these two gives you 28,900, which puts you in CDL territory. However, from what I can tell, the GCWR of a 2001 E450 is 20,000.

The DOT cop wrote up our guy for not having a CDL because the two GVWR's combined were over 26,001. Was this correct? Or should he have gone by GCWR?

I know the easy answer is to just get a CDL, but I'm trying to figure out exactly what DOT officers will look at before they write a ticket.

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
I'll try to clarify this as I can.

Your tow vehicle has a GWVR rating (XXX), combined with the GWVR of the trailer (14900 as above). IF the two amounts combined exceed 26k you will need a Class A CDL.

It doesn't matter squat what the actual weight is, it's the combination of the sticker weight ratings.

So if your F250 GVWR is 10,000 and the trailer GVWR is 14,900 your GCWR is 24,900. Under the 26k limit. For the E450 at 14,000 and trailer at 14,900 GCWR is 28,900. It's time for a CDL using that setup.

It's smart to call around to the state DOTs to make sure you are in the legal.

Pstrke96

Reaction score
Any trailer gvwr over 10,000 is an automatic class a cdl load
The reason I got my class a is I built a 12,000 lb trailer and got a ticket for driving out of class. Also the dot rules are supposed to be the same as they are interstate regulations

marserdesigns

Reaction score
I do know in California you need a Recreational RV endorsement for a 5th wheel or TB weighing over 10k but not over 15k. Anything over 15k you need a non commercial Class A.

I have a 33' Toy hauler 5th wheel with a 13,800 GVWR...went to DMV took a written test for the Recreational RV endorsement.....no cost to take it, but now I don't have to worry about getting hassled with by the CHP on major holidays and camping on the beach.

I agree with Heavy Assult....do some research before making a costly mistake.

RSK

Reaction score
I used to care about this kinda of stuff then i just stopped trying avoid the problem and got my class A cdl and while i don't everything 100% straightened out i do have a dot number now and it's getting put on my freightliner which has a 33k gvw and air brakes and is rated to tow a lot of weight....so 90% of the time it will be over kill but i'd rather have too much stopping power and towing capacity and raise an eyebrow or two then have an undersized tow rig and get a 4-5000 dollar overweight ticket and possibly be towing unsafe and not being able to stop what i'm towing.

WHY NOT

Reaction score
Any trailer gvwr over 10,000 is an automatic class a cdl load
The reason I got my class a is I built a 12,000 lb trailer and got a ticket for driving out of class. Also the dot rules are supposed to be the same as they are interstate regulations

:stupid:

If the trailer is over 10,000 lbs you technically need a CDL. Everyone saying that it is all about combined weight is wrong. There are so many different laws about all this crap its not even funny and they are constantly changing. Also some guys say that they go off of the Ford's GCVWR which is also wrong. If you get pulled by DOT they will look at your axle and tire ratings of the truck and of the trailer. As long as you are not exceeding any of those you will be ok.

Also even though you are not pulling over 10K with the trailer it is still rated for it there for they go off the rating for your license not the weight. Some states may be different than others but thats how it is in IL.

RSK

Reaction score
Just get the cdl then you don't have to worry about having too heavy of a trailer. Problem solved. Everyone is scared to get their cdl and i've seen people spend 30-40,000 dollars on buying smaller trucks to avoid having to get a cdl which costs like 1500 maybe less if you go to small "school" and take a contractors program like i did.

WHY NOT

Reaction score
My cdl only cost what ever the license cost at the dmv. Don't need to go to school to get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RSK

Reaction score
My cdl only cost what ever the license cost at the dmv. Don't need to go to school to get it.

Don't you need a truck to take your test with and do the pre trip on? I guess if you have a buddy that has a truck and everything then yes it's even cheaper only 60 dollars or whatever it costs, even more reason to just get one.

WHY NOT

Reaction score
Don't you need a truck to take your test with and do the pre trip on? I guess if you have a buddy that has a truck and everything then yes it's even cheaper only 60 dollars or whatever it costs, even more reason to just get one.

Yeah I guess so. We have 2 semis so wasn't a concern for me.

PDT1081

Reaction score

I rented the truck from the school where I took my test. Cost about $150. Used my boss's trucks for practice. And by practice I mean hauling equipment down country roads while I had my permit (he or another driver riding with me). In all reality, if you can drive a truck and trailer forwards and backwards, you don't need the schooling. The one I rented was nothing more than a larger pickup truck. Day cab, single axle, auto with a 25 foot box trailer.

Latest posts

Members online