Drive shaft help

powerstrokezach6.7

Reaction score
I had a problem with my drive shaft yesterday and found this piece is rattling. I need help. Don't know what part this is. It is the bigger ring piece

Attachments

• 20140621_214651.jpg
    20140621_214651.jpg
    801.9 KB · Views: 152

sledhead_24_7

Reaction score
Exactly which piece was rattling.

To me it looks like the pinion was a bit shiny. So if the pinion but is loose then your pinion will walk and eventually break the ring gear, pinion gear and the rest of the parts in the rear axle.

But hard to say with out at least pointing out which part is loose.

ghohouston

Reaction score
i agree the pinion looks shiny like the nut backed off or something to that affect. but yeah, we need to know what exactly was rattling.

sootie

Reaction score
how the heck do you get inverted pinion angle like that??!

sootie

Reaction score
can you take a picture from beside the truck near the ground showing most of the driveshaft and the differential? it may be just camera angle but it think you have a major issue going on.

sagebel

Reaction score
My dually doesn't look anything like that. Maybe someone with a SRW can compare your pic to what their truck looks like. Is there any other shiny metal along the drive shaft?

carcare

Reaction score
Rear damper broke. If no movement n bearing up and dwn/side to side: remove four 12mm 12 pt on flange to yoke: separate . Count threads on rear pinion: remove nut (easiest w an impact). Not sure how it comes new but at that point with new balancer in hand (as long as serviceable item) u should be able to look at ur new part and see how it works. May not be a bad idea to put a pinion seal in it as we'll. parts should come apart and pinion cannot go anywhere so a couple screwdrivers and usually able to pop it out. Do this all with wheels on the ground and chalked. If u can't figure it out I can send u all data instructions. Never doneone of those in particular but seen it many times

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gfulton

Reaction score
Rear damper broke. If no movement n bearing up and dwn/side to side: remove four 12mm 12 pt on flange to yoke: separate . Count threads on rear pinion: remove nut (easiest w an impact). Not sure how it comes new but at that point with new balancer in hand (as long as serviceable item) u should be able to look at ur new part and see how it works. May not be a bad idea to put a pinion seal in it as we'll. parts should come apart and pinion cannot go anywhere so a couple screwdrivers and usually able to pop it out. Do this all with wheels on the ground and chalked. If u can't figure it out I can send u all data instructions. Never doneone of those in particular but seen it many times

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You seem to know what your talking about. Maybe you can help the guy in the thead below ( lincolnlocker) I still think all he needs is a couple of fat girls in the bed but don't tell him I said that he's a little sensitive about it....

powerstrokezach6.7

Reaction score
i was able to buy the just that part. easy to fix. just toke the four bolts that connect to the driveshaft. then the big nut that holds the flange in. and you need a puller to take off the flange. it comes right out and replaced it with my new one. it started to look expensive but the part is only $120. if anyone breaks this part it is called a flange.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.