Driveline Shimmy

Illinois7.3

Reaction score
I got a wierd shudder when I take off from a corner turning right especially. It doesnt last long but it feels like something is slipping. I dont have it when accelerating straight. The truck is an auto.

A little backstory, i had my trans and diff oil changed at the dealership and i drove it about 3 hours and noticed there was no trans oil on the dipstick. I refilled it and it took about a quart and a half to get it into the range. Could this cause damage and could it be related?

907DAVE

Reaction score
When your diff was serviced did they add a friction modifier?

This IS your issue, and sometimes can be reversed by draining off some gear lube and adding the correct amount of additive. It can take some time for the chatter to go away, but if it doesn't you might be looking at getting a new set of diff clutches.

FWIW, there is a TSB on this complaint...I can dig it up if you like.

Illinois7.3

Reaction score
I looked at the invoice and there is a charge for like 6ish bucks under the line "oil additive" I assumed that was the friction modifier. Would it hurt to throw more in just in case?

Tedzz

Reaction score
there should be no more than 3º difference of the the 2 driveshafts. Check your center carrier bearing, it may need to be be shimmed down. It is likely to need to be replaced also.

JLDickmon

Reaction score
nah, I'm with Dave.
go back and bitch, make 'em change the diff fluid again.
Tell them to put the additive in it this time, as you paid for it.

Latest posts

Members online