Ebp sensor and tube (tuner input needed)

MossBack

Reaction score
To carry from the other thread I figured I would start a new one. The question is is it needed? I know most people are running ebpv deleted and that is when I had originally deleted the tube and sensor. But after some hard shifting issues I put on a new tube and sensor as well as changing brands of tuners my shifts are back to nice and smooth...

So tuners is the feedback from the sensor needed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

MossBack

Reaction score
Like I said that I did get rid if it and suffered hard shifting most noticeable 3-4 under 1/2 acc. Pedal position. I added it back and fixed the shifting. So my opinion is that it is needed. However some people argued it was a tuner issue. So I want tuners to clarify if it is needed.

ToMang07

Reaction score
EBP Tube/Sensor is completely separate/different from EBPV.

EBPV is just the butterfly valve on the exit of the turbo that closes to increase the load and help warm up the truck.

EBP Tube/Sensor reads the back pressure and sends the reading to the PCM which in turn adjusts the tuning.

I believe there are some heavily modded trucks with the EBP Sensor/Tube deleted, but they are far and few between.

ghohouston

Reaction score
ToMango, ****ing thank you for that. There was a thread the other day, i guess it was the o.p.'s other thread, where jim rosewood was thinking the two were related, and I remembered hearing that before, but didnt find a thread with proof I wanted.

To the o.p., ill tell you again, when I installed my d.I. headers on my 2002, I didnt want to use the tube/ sensor anymore, so I opted not to install it. I noticed no difference, and figured gearhead tunes didnt use the ebps, so thought nothing of it. Well, when I sold the truck, I returned it to stock, and by stock, I mean I put the original exhaust manifolds back on, stock injectors, etc. The only thing left not stock was the 38r with the ebpv deleted, and i removed the chip, so truck was back on stock tuning. Well I never got around to re installing the tube/ sensor, and plugged the manifold, and still noticed NO difference. I am personally starting to think different pcm strategies use the ebps for different things, which affect the trucks in different ways. Thats about all I can figure so far. You are not the first person to claim they feel shifting change without the sensor, and im not the first to claim they saw no difference

Last edited:

MossBack

Reaction score
I think what you are saying is correct as I am a 1997 with TDE1 tunes. Although the sensor is nice when using AE to monitor back pressure to boost.

JD3020

Reaction score
I'm not a tuner, but i have yet to find anything in Minotaur that pertains to the EBPS. Well there is a backpressure section, but i believe it might be for the valve?

Anyways on my truck i've ran it with no sensor, sensor plugged in but not functioning, sensor tied into the MAP line, and currently with the sensor and tube functioning like its supposed to. The only difference i've ever noticed was when the sensor was unplugged. It had a CEL, and the transmission felt like it was in limp mode. So basically as long as the sensor is plugged in, the truck doesn't care what it reads.

I also want to say that it caused to the EBPV to freak out when i had it unplugged, but its been so long since i've had a functioning valve i don't remember what exactly it did.

ghohouston

Reaction score
I'm not a tuner, but i have yet to find anything in Minotaur that pertains to the EBPS. Well there is a backpressure section, but i believe it might be for the valve?

Anyways on my truck i've ran it with no sensor, sensor plugged in but not functioning, sensor tied into the MAP line, and currently with the sensor and tube functioning like its supposed to. The only difference i've ever noticed was when the sensor was unplugged. It had a CEL, and the transmission felt like it was in limp mode. So basically as long as the sensor is plugged in, the truck doesn't care what it reads.

I also want to say that it caused to the EBPV to freak out when i had it unplugged, but its been so long since i've had a functioning valve i don't remember what exactly it did.

Its starting to seem like all obs trucks are affected by the sensor. I Wonder how many if any super duty owners trucks have issues without the sensor. It also seems that obs trucks throw a cel from the ebps being unplugged, and super duties wont.

JD3020

Reaction score
It may not have thrown a CEL, its been a while since i've done the testing. My truck does some weird things though. I'll try to make a comparison video tomorrow with it unplugged, plugged in but not reading anything, and plugged in and working like normal.

DZL JIM

Reaction score
My '96 and '97's never set a CEL and didn't show any change in running with the sensor unplugged.
They stored soft codes, but that was it.

ToMang07

Reaction score
After you said that, it made me remember hearing about other obs guys that had a cel from the ebps being unplugged

My '96 and '97's never set a CEL and didn't show any change in running with the sensor unplugged.
They stored soft codes, but that was it.

I'm willing to bet that both PCM programing AND tunes (If applicable) have a lot to do with how the truck reacts to the missing/malfunctioning sensor. I know CA models will have a hard CEL from just from the EBPV being unplugged/deleted. For non CA models it's just a soft code.

dsberman94

Reaction score
superduty trucks throw a soft code not a hard code. it won't set the cel but if you scan for codes it will come up. same as a wastegate issue will throw a soft code and the cel won't come on but if i scan for dtc's it brings up wastegate codes.

you guys beat me to it.

TyCorr

Reaction score
My superduty=no codes...

When my tube was discovered to be plugged, i tried to.clean the tube and sensor. I ruined the sensor. I wasnt even thinking qbout reusing the junk until my nifty ebp sensor and tube relocation kit came from strictly. I plugged the hole in the pass side manifold and left the plug dangling.

I remember the cts.showing some funky value in the ebp pid but nothing else changed. No codes. The electronically controlled 4r100 performed as normal. Php tuning.

Besides people on forums the majority of the trucks are out running around with 250k+ and that sensor has been plugged since 85k.

GreenF350

Reaction score
Due to one of the threads recently and talking about using it for tuning/shifting I asked about my tunes from the place I got them, since mine has been functioning, but incorrectly for some time (I never noticed it wasn't working right except for way back when it was stock it never closed the EBPV until I started to monitor it's values). I was told in my case the EBP Sensor was not used at all in the tunes. Other tuners may vary I suppose.
-Aaron

rusty1161

Reaction score
I think what you are saying is correct as I am a 1997 with TDE1 tunes. Although the sensor is nice when using AE to monitor back pressure to boost.

I have a 1997/TDE1 tunes and I replaced my tube and sensor at 215,000 miles and see better shifting, too.

Rusty

silverpsd_06

Reaction score
Mine I think was an issue with driveability and lower than normal power... I have a manual transmission so shifting was a non-relevant issue. The sensor never read anything besides 14.3 or 14.2 even under boost.

silverpsd_06

Reaction score
Super duty. It was not a stock truck by any means but I never felt it ran correctly for what was done. There were no other mechanical issues besides that sensor being junk

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.