ecm and ficm tune combination decision

bboteler

Reaction score
Mine has weak batteries and doesn't like to start if not plugged in but new batteries will be in by the weekend. What's your voltage? What kinda oil are you running? What ambient temps on startup?

C-TANE

Reaction score
bboteler, SoCal 65* cold start... Batteries are new interstates, FICM repaired about a year ago sporting constant 48 volts... You may have read on the other post, IDP has got me an inductive heating cycle worked up to add in. Someone pointed out that it sounds like stiction, that was the first thing I thought before I remembered the 4 in the left bank are new. Does have me concerned though... Thank you for the quick replies! Makes me remember why I love good forums:thumbup:

bboteler

Reaction score
Awesome man! Glad you are on the right track. I can testify to when I had my ford remans sent to warren (no 175's) I needed to add some rev-x. I run good oil, I'm an amsoil dealer so oil wasn't the problem but striction was. 600 miles on 2 bottles of rev-x and she's purring right along. I have bills ficm tuning and it prefers tsd ECM tuning to idp's on start ups. Some just don't jive as well. I'd do a contribution test and make sure you aren't losing another injector.

C-TANE

Reaction score
I had a contribution test done after the new bank of injectors and I have the privious owners bad test as well... You know, I guess one can let loose at anytime(injector). I am definately thinking revX in the short term.

Last edited:

C-TANE

Reaction score
Update, I still have a really ROUGH running cold 6.0... :fustrate:

I have spoke to IDP several times but, they won't send me inductive heating:axe: They keep sending me a web link to a D.I.Y. superchips updater. I'm not a computer programmer and can't figure out how to write my own program. Really sucks that they won't just send me the file.

bboteler

Reaction score
c-tane have you had an injector contribution test done? There may be a bigger issue here. Try calling Eric direct or emailing him specifically Im sure they have some other way to add inductive heating to your device.

jag6510

Reaction score
I'm running power hungrys atlas 40 with Vivian's looney tunes from quick tricks and they work very well together. She told me to run the atlas 40 with the tunes especially if you are ever gonna tow with it because the EGT's could get kinda hot running a hotter ficm tune.

jdc753

Reaction score
bboteler, SoCal 65* cold start... Batteries are new interstates, FICM repaired about a year ago sporting constant 48 volts... You may have read on the other post, IDP has got me an inductive heating cycle worked up to add in. Someone pointed out that it sounds like stiction, that was the first thing I thought before I remembered the 4 in the left bank are new. Does have me concerned though... Thank you for the quick replies! Makes me remember why I love good forums:thumbup:

yikes, cold start troubles at 65°

I've run an xtreme race file since back in 08 and just a few months ago added some FICM tuning, PHP's hercules, I think, whatever their big file is, the "100hp tune" if I remember right. This is also all with a rollback on the computers. The FICM tuning gave me back some mileage, I can now average 16 mixed, and get over 18 highway. Overall quite happy with the changes from the FICM tuning, little smokey down low, but my foot quickly learned to drive clean, hits the tires a little harder off the line too. No issues with EGT's either, honestly I didn't notice it running any hotter.

I have no cold start issues, and that is with unplugged morning starts in the single digits so far, it smokes a touch and revs up high when it initially fires off, but otherwise idles down fine.

bboteler

Reaction score
I'm being lazy and don't feel like scrolling back on my phone but c-tane, what kinda shape are your glowplugs in??

C-TANE

Reaction score
The glow plugs are good to go. When I return the ecm to stock it starts up smooth and it is barely noticable. I have spoken to PHP and ALL their FICM tuning has mild inductive heating to prevent what I'm dealing with. IDP has confirmed their FICM tuning has zero/zilch/no inductive heating. They assure me that getting the superchips update will program in mild inductive heating but, like I stated I'm not a computer programmer and cannot figure out how to write the program.

bboteler

Reaction score
Interesting. And you've have it hooked to a ford computer or similar one to make sure everything is working right?

C-TANE

Reaction score
I will have to check the strategy when I get home. I'm curious to see where you go with my strategy. I have been PM'd by members that had the same issue. One of them said that he talked to Eric directly and ended up buying new custom tunes that defuel during cold start. After he loaded the new tunes everything runs smooth.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.