EFR 9180

Reaction score
I've been doing a bit of research on this turbo lately. I found some of the 6.0 guys here have tried it out and seem to like it and Jacob likes it on his D-max. Has anyone given this thing a try on a 7.3?

Looking at the specs, it should flow more exhaust than the S366 most people run and with the 67.7 FMW wheel, it should make good power. Should be an awesome towing turbo. Also in the case of OBS guys, it would prevent modding the firewall to run a wastegate on an S366 or to run an S400. I'm currently running an S465, but I've considered testing this thing out when I get the money. Thoughts?

JDub

Reaction score
Personally, I think you're definitley still going to want to gate it. Borg says the shaft speed needs to stay under 115,000 rpm to keep the Gamma-Ti turbine shaft from coming a part, so you'll want to be able to control turbo rpm. The 9180 uses the same size turbine wheel as an S366, 73mm, but because of the super light gamma-ti material the EFR spools incredibly quick. And the 67.7 FMW has already proven to be a great compressor on the 7.3L, so I think it could be a good option, but you need to watch shaft speed and you'll have to plumb some coolant lines to the center section...

The compressor inlet is also longer than on a standard S300, so that would need to be taken into consideration when doing an intake, may interfere with the CCV housing, not sure...

Reaction score
Personally, I think you're definitley still going to want to gate it. Borg says the shaft speed needs to stay under 115,000 rpm to keep the Gamma-Ti turbine shaft from coming a part, so you'll want to be able to control turbo rpm. The 9180 uses the same size turbine wheel as an S366, 73mm, but because of the super light gamma-ti material the EFR spools incredibly quick. And the 67.7 FMW has already proven to be a great compressor on the 7.3L, so I think it could be a good option, but you need to watch shaft speed and you'll have to plumb some coolant lines to the center section...

The compressor inlet is also longer than on a standard S300, so that would need to be taken into consideration when doing an intake, may interfere with the CCV housing, not sure...

Awesome info. Exactly what I was looking for. If I need to gate it, I'll need to come up with a different solution than where Irate puts the external gate. Even after modding my firewall for this S400, an external gate is going to go up through the firewall the way he has it. Thanks Jacob.

I think that's going to be an awesome turbo on the 7.3, but maybe I'll try out the 67.7 cast or FMW in my S400 if I'm going to need to gate the EFR. Not sure I'm down with even more firewall modding. LOL

Reaction score
Would you be able to run a remote gate around the charger with a piece of pipe?

Maybe. I need to look at it more. I would want to do that over where Irate mounts the gate anyways to make the gate easier to get to in case I ever need to change springs.. If I don't come up with a reasonable solution when I do mess with it, I'm still considering adding an external gate into the turbine housing, but not sure how well it would work.

Latest posts

Members online