Egr cooler leaking

03_PSD

Reaction score
Pulled my egr valve to check if cooler might be leaking. I did this because I noticed a little white smoke on startup if it was cold outside. Haven't noticed any major coolant loss yet. It's got a little wetness in the manifold. I have to pass visual inspection here. So can I weld up the exhaust sides and throw it back in or do I need a new cooler then weld it shut? How long can I run till I get this resolved? I have scan gauge to monitor things and temps are perfect.

wiseguy

Reaction score
dont drive it , you risk additional damage fix it now. if it is properly welded it will never have an issue. I have local weld shop to do coolers for me .250 stainless plug tig welded never have an issue again.

03_PSD

Reaction score
Everything I've read states oil coolers make the egr cooler fail. My temps are 6-8 degrees apart on the highway. Oil temp never gets above 200. I'm in a pickle as I can't not drive the truck. Coolant level hasn't dropped much in over a month. I know it don't take much to hydro lock an engine.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Are you sure its coolant coming out the tailpipe and not fuel. Could be stiction or a ficm, especially being cold. Either of those will make the egr valve wet, but with fuel, not coolant.

03_PSD

Reaction score
It didn't smell like fuel, didn't burn my eyes or anything. Didn't have a coolant smell either. I haven't had any puking or needed to add coolant.

I wanted to see what the egr valve looked like and was surprised to see it slightly wet in there. Now I'm worried I'm on borrowed time. This morning driving to work all hwy 35 miles my temps when arrived to work were 183 oil and 177 coolant.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Temp split isnt bad. I would check ficm voltage, as well as run a power balance on first start in the morning. If you arent losing coolant, its probably not the egr cooler.

junglejoe

Reaction score
Stainless steel welded my egr cooler... installing it on my truck now. My EGR valve was a little wet too, but no steam,

03_PSD

Reaction score
Ficm is 47.5-48 at startup. Always fires right up no hiccups or stumbles and idles great cold or hot. Hopefully I'm being paranoid, but I have a egr cooler sourced and it'll get welded and installed asap.

junglejoe

Reaction score
Was it white smoke or just steam? My truck and my 7.3 truck steams when it's cold.. Your deltas are perfect. Wouldn't worry about that. I have learned a lot on these trucks here lately, no expert, but I know a lot thanks to the people on this forum and youtube..lol

03_PSD

Reaction score
Might have been steam because of the cold. Only did it for a moment then cleared up once high idle kicked in. I've only seen it happen when it was around twenty degrees out side. Otherwise it always starts up perfect with nothing out of the normal.

Latest posts

Members online