EGR Removal

hawghuntin

Reaction score
Hey all, getting ready to do my No Limit Egr this week. I'm reading the horror stories of broken exhaust tube bolts... looking for any tips on how to avoid this from happening. TIA

packin45

Reaction score
Spray and heat. Lots of PB blaster and a MAP gas bottle is what I used

Sent from my iPhone

rob05

Reaction score
I doused the bolts with PB blaster the night before and then warmed the truck up before I went at them and had no issues at all breaking them loose.

DWhite

Reaction score
I also 2nd doing it cold. I drove my truck and parked it for 30 min and I went to work and broke one of the bolts off. Then I heard people saying do it cold and I did a few on trucks that sit over night and didnt break one off.

WYO7.3

Reaction score
I broke both off mine cold, soaking it with pb for 3 days. On my bosses truck we idled it to running temp and soaked it with pb as well and broke one of them. Mine had 96000 his had 47000. I think it's luck of the draw. It gave me a good excuse to pull the intake parts out and douche them with degreaser you'll be amazed at the junk you clean out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raptorgabe

Reaction score
I broke mine both off being hot ! Make sure if u do it hot relive the pressure of coolant through the tank because I cut the hose without doing it and it was shooting coolant out lol

Reaction score
I dont think its going to matter hot or cold honestly. Ive heard both scenarios play out with broken bolts. I personally soaked mine good with stuff called Kroil and also PB blaster for a couple days before I attempted mine. I did mine cold and still had a broken bolt with my truck only having 42,000 miles on it. Really is luck of the draw.....so....GOOD LUCK! haha

hawghuntin

Reaction score
Yikes.... this is all got me freaked a bit. the truck has a 160k on it, I don't know if it's been deleted before or if the cooler has been off, I bought it from a dealer. So assuming I do break a bolt or both... any good tricks or tips on what to do after that... yikes!!!

uga33

Reaction score
Easy out or drill it out and re-tap it. I ended up just pulling the top of the motor and replacing the exhaust manifold.

JRLott

Reaction score
Kroil...remove when new, coat with never seize, reinstall for the day you will delete. Yes, I need to take my own advice.

DWhite

Reaction score
Yikes.... this is all got me freaked a bit. the truck has a 160k on it, I don't know if it's been deleted before or if the cooler has been off, I bought it from a dealer. So assuming I do break a bolt or both... any good tricks or tips on what to do after that... yikes!!!

I used reverse thread drill bits and drilled through part of the broke bolt then it grabbed and unscrewed the rest of the broken bolt out, it took awhile before it got in a good spot to thread it out. Then I ran a tap down in it to make sure the threads where good.

Reaction score
Easy out or drill it out and re-tap it. I ended up just pulling the top of the motor and replacing the exhaust manifold.

Yeah, I replaced the exhaust manifold too. Mine broke off flush so nothing to grab. I first tried reverse drill bits. No luck. Then drilled into it and attempted an easy out. Easy out then broke off in it. Easy outs dont like to be drilled out. That broken piece was really in there. So, just replaced the manifold. This was a long time ago though and didnt seem like as many people talked about this issue at that time. Too bad those 15 streetmax turbos werent out when that happened. Would have been a perfect time to upgrade the turbo!

Reaction score
I don't recall putting anything on mine. I however did use my little 3/8 impact and tightened them first to try and break them free then reverse and they came out.

Raptorgabe

Reaction score
dont even mess with an easy out everytime ive tried them they break ! if they do break be prepared to pull the big black pos black piece off the top and than the piece directly under that just to get in there where u need to be to drill the bolts out

Latest posts

Members online