EGT question OBDII vs ISSPRO

FussGus

Reaction score
This week I installed a triple gauge pillar and 3 gauges from ISSPRO. One is my pyrometer. I have been noticing something odd in my opinion and I wanted to ask all of you what you thought about it.

First off I do not know where the factory EGT probe on my truck is which is an 08 it looks like there is one right off of the EGR cooler pipe but don't know if thats where it is used.

I tapped my probe where the directions told me to which is right at cylinder 8 (which I was told runs the hottest). I also have an Edge CTS Insight that I have been previously been using to monitor my temps which is where the confusion begins.

If I am driving my truck and I get on it say 35-40% throttle the Edge Insight will show the EGTs get all the way up to 1100 about and looking over at my ISSPRO gauge it hasn't even broke 800. Now if I were to come to at stop light they both seem to read the same. If I am letting my truck cool down before shutting it off I notice that the Edge CTS will read 300 (which is where I almost always waited until) and my ISSPRO gauge will say 375.

With everything that I have done to my truck and a bunch of those products saying they will help lower EGTs I never noticed that but if my ISSPRO gauge is actually accurate then wow my truck runs almost too cool to me. Yes I know placement of the probe makes a difference but this much? One last question is, how far into my manifold should my probe be in? I have it about 1/4 inch or so away from bottoming out on the manifold. Thanks

webb06

Reaction score
Factory egt probe is in the passenger side up pipe.

I'm not sure which one I trust more. You might try replacing the factory sensor and see if they get closer together.

If you're that worried about it anyway

FussGus

Reaction score
I did a decent pull on the freeway with about 40lbs of boost and the Edge showed 1200 and my ISSPRO STILL didn't get up to 800. With the HD300 tune on it has to be impossible . Is the probe on the drivers side unused when the emissions are turned off? IF both are the same theoretically I could swap one with the other?

BFT

Reaction score
EGT sensor located on the passenger side
IMG_0664_zps49ab0add.jpg

webb06

Reaction score
on the pull you did i would definitely be trusting the edge more than the isspro. on the hd300 it'll heat up pretty quick and definitely be over 800 degrees

FussGus

Reaction score
One dumb question for you guys. I noticed on my sensor that there was a washer thing that I don't know the name of that looks like it crushes down against the probe to keep it in place, so is this a one time thing where I cannot make any adjustments as to how far in or out I want the tip?

FussGus

Reaction score
It won't budge though. It's as if it crimped itself to the probe. I'll take it easy next time I'm under there with a pliers and see if I can't get it loose.

FussGus

Reaction score
Too late now tonight, but it's a little collar that's around the probe that helps keep the probe in place when it is fastened.

powerstroked08

Reaction score
The little collar is about 1/8 of an inch thick and the nut spins on it? I think it is just like a washer that the nut tightens on to.

powerstroked08

Reaction score
If it didn't have that collar than the probe would just slide all the way into the pipe and you wouldn't be able to tighten the probe down.

FussGus

Reaction score
I don't know what the deal was but the nut was tight and it still slipped out some ways or I never pushed it in as far as it would go but it went further in and socked it down good and it works perfectly. This guy is an idiot.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.