Electric Exhaust Cutout

red-red-red-red

Reaction score
I have 4" MBRP exhaust with the MBRP muffler. I want to install a 4" QTP electric exhaust cutout before the muffler. Once concern would be exhaust/sound coming from directly below cab when open. Anyone done this or have any advice.

Thanks

dsberman94

Reaction score
I wanted to do this so I could run stacks or underbed but if it's set in either direction it will either allow flow from that one direction or both directions. So it won't work for my application.

However the exhaust coming out directly under the cab I'll suck just because of sound. You could get something custom fabbed to go out the axle or dump out the side in front of the rear tire though. That would be neat.

06_Whitebull

Reaction score
You could get something custom fabbed to go out the axle or dump out the side in front of the rear tire though. That would be neat.

This.

I had an 88 mustang with cutouts, had pipes run from the cutout to just in front of the rear wheel. Wish I still had the pics, but here is one very similar.

Side%20Pipe.jpg

but like dsberman94 said, you'll get flow out of both pipes, but most will take the path of least resistance and dump.

SSpeeDEMONSS

Reaction score
I wanted to do this so I could run stacks or underbed but if it's set in either direction it will either allow flow from that one direction or both directions. So it won't work for my application.

However the exhaust coming out directly under the cab I'll suck just because of sound. You could get something custom fabbed to go out the axle or dump out the side in front of the rear tire though. That would be neat.

Grand rock makes a diverter valve. It is a manual valve but an electronic actuator would take care of that easily.

Garrett

probably getting paid at work to post this from my POS phone

alradco

Reaction score
I wouldn't be concerned about the sound. Probably drone a bit but I've ran no exhaust on turbo cars and it's not that loud. Definitely nothing like a NA motor.

dsberman94

Reaction score
I wouldn't be concerned about the sound. Probably drone a bit but I've ran no exhaust on turbo cars and it's not that loud. Definitely nothing like a NA motor.

open downpipe was terrible on a turbo nissan 240sx. dumped right under the drivers feet. smelled terrible and was so loud you had a headache in 10 minutes. my 7.3 with axle dumps gets really loud at certain rpms.

mudrunninpig

Reaction score
I did this a few years ago. The stacks were too loud for my wife when I would haul trailers. I put 2 valves in. This way when I shut one off the other was open so I could direct the flow where I wanted. It is dumped under the passenger rear door. Its actually pretty quiet in the cab with the stacks off.

img_0632.jpg

img_0633.jpg

img_0581.jpg

alradco

Reaction score
open downpipe was terrible on a turbo nissan 240sx. dumped right under the drivers feet. smelled terrible and was so loud you had a headache in 10 minutes. my 7.3 with axle dumps gets really loud at certain rpms.

the smell can be nasty I agree. I had a C5 Corvette with a single turbo. Ran open downpipe that dumped just past the seats.

dsberman94

Reaction score
the smell can be nasty I agree. I had a C5 Corvette with a single turbo. Ran open downpipe that dumped just past the seats.

especially since it was tuned extremely rich and would shoot flames if you bounced it off the rev limiter a couple times. always nice praying the underbelly of the car didnt catch on fire.

ford rules

Reaction score
I ran a 4" down pipe and had it dumped to the ground for about a week, it was absolutely ridiculous. You couldn't talk to anyone in the cab at anytime driving. The truck then had 5" duals which I liked and will be going back to that setup as I currently have a 5" single stack.

dsberman94

Reaction score
my stacks vibrate windows and the mirrors. can't talk with anyone in the back seat with them in. thats kinda my reason for wanting the diverter.

6speedsd

Reaction score
I did this a few years ago. The stacks were too loud for my wife when I would haul trailers. I put 2 valves in. This way when I shut one off the other was open so I could direct the flow where I wanted. It is dumped under the passenger rear door. Its actually pretty quiet in the cab with the stacks off.
I've actually wanted to do this for a while now. I want stacks, but I'm worried they'll be too loud with my kids in the back seat. Could run the outlet side back and dump it over the axle or something.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.