Electric fans?

ibestroken

Reaction score
Looking at removing the monstrosity of a fan these strokes have. haha This is on a primarily pull truck. What are some of the electric fan setups yall folks are running out there. Do not mind wiring up with a switch as well to the factory temp switch. Not interested in a $600 setup. DIY is the way I want it.

Thanks, Zach

02BigD

Reaction score
Interested to hear what you get back from the pullers. Electric fans are definitely not a good idea for any kind of daily usage. Been discussed forever feels like. I wished they worked, I'd love to have more space up front.

ibestroken

Reaction score
Yea I understand on a street truck how they may not perform as well as the mechanical one. Def would clean up the front of engine bay, lose a little weight, and maybe gain 5hp. lol I've done some searching but haven't really found anything worth a dang. Just a lot of talk blah blah. I did read something about using some fans from a thunderbird or mark 8.

blaze42069

Reaction score
I put two 16" 2500cfm fans on my daily driver (obs). I drag race it and tow 10,000lbs occasionally. I looked and couldn't find anything definitive on to use or not to use. There are efan setups for the Superduties that are manufactured so I thought f**k it. Lets see what happens. 3 years now and no issues, maybe if I towed heavier or more often I would notice issues. I do believe to factory fan pulls 5500-6000 cfm tho, I did know I was moving less air when I moved to efans, but so far I'm lucky or just not working it hard enough. Still waiting to find out.

Reaction score
Interested to hear what you get back from the pullers. Electric fans are definitely not a good idea for any kind of daily usage. Been discussed forever feels like. I wished they worked, I'd love to have more space up front.

Electric fans not working is news to me. I know many people say it doesn't work, but it's been fine for me.. I've been daily driving some Flex-a-lite fans on my OBS for a few years now here in Texas without any issues. Towing (15k max gross for me), Austin rush hour traffic, no problems. Sure is nice to be able to do anything on the front of the engine without having to pull a fan shroud.

Anyways, we aren't here to argue that point. OP, go check out the junkyard. Find some fans from a small car. Lincoln Mark VIII's, Taurus, T-birds, etc. Fans from all of these cars will be fine for a pulling truck. You can wire them up on a switch or you can set them up on a temp probe, either way. I would just do a simple switch so that you can turn them off during the pull and then turn them on after you finish the pull. If you decide to use a temp probe, get a setup that puts the probe in the upper hose. I switched my Flex-a-lites on two of my trucks to this style and it's much better than a probe in the radiator fins.

powerlifter405

Reaction score
IIRC the size of the PSD radiator will allow for at least two of the Mark VIII fans. I also want to say the twin fan setup on the chevy police caprice flows more than the fans of comparable year vettes due to severity use. That possibly being the case I measured those out at one time and if memory serves me correct you can run two of the twin fans for a total of 4 fans, 2 per assembly.

good luck

Fordguy100

Reaction score
Shoot guys, I ran my IDI without a fan in Texas for a whole year (that would include summer!) and it did fine. If I had to sit more than a few minutes when it was fully up to temp, water temps would get hotter than I liked (225-230), but would fall back to 190* very fast once driving again. For a daily driver, E-fans would work just fine. Anything over 10mph and the truck was cooling (unloaded of course) to the point that I could drive at that speed all day and not overheat (190* water temp).

Powerstrokes ought to be more efficient when it comes to water temps, so you would probably have even better results than I did. I also picked up some fuel mileage as well.

In fact, during summer we had a day of pretty windy conditions (20mph), and to test the truck I parked it facing the wind. Water temp stayed at 190*. Ambient temps were 95-100*, fairly high humidity.

*Disclaimer* AC was inop, AC performance would have been very bad with no fan, and it would add more heat to the system.*

Last edited:

TARM

Reaction score
Years ago a company made a replacement electric fan clutch and you could wire a manual over ride switch in the cab. The name is not coming to me now but they stopped making them. Even if I had to go thru a few warranty replacements to get a good one ( if that was an issue) that would worth it to have control if it was something needed for a person.

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Years ago a company made a replacement electric fan clutch and you could wire a manual over ride switch in the cab. The name is not coming to me now but they stopped making them. Even if I had to go thru a few warranty replacements to get a good one ( if that was an issue) that would worth it to have control if it was something needed for a person.

US Gear

Billy T.
[email protected]

njjeep

Reaction score
Taurus fans are real popular on pirate4x4 search over there there are a lot of threads on how to hook them up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ibestroken

Reaction score
So what its looking like is roundup a couple fans from the cars mentioned and wire up.

Still would like to see a response or better yet a photo of maybe how another puller has theirs set up.

Thanks for the input

Reaction score
So what its looking like is roundup a couple fans from the cars mentioned and wire up.

Still would like to see a response or better yet a photo of maybe how another puller has theirs set up.

Thanks for the input

What is it that you want to see? It's pretty simple, mount the fan(s) to the radiator core.. You can do that with either the push pins that go through the radiator fins or build yourself a shroud and mount the fans to the shroud. Having a shroud is the best way, but for a pulling truck it isn't necessary IMO.. I can give you pics of my Flex-a-lite fans, but I'm not sure it would help you much.

Last edited:

powerlifter405

Reaction score

Thanks for the input

Really what are you wanting? A few guys chimed in that have used them for DD and liked them. A few others have thrown out ideas of their web searching.

Find a forum or sub forum dedicated to pullers and you might have better luck.

You asked and folks gave what they could. Why not just hit the salvage yards and be the first to do a write up.

ibestroken

Reaction score
That's my bad. Went back and read what I typed and I didn't put in puller in front of response in my last post. Sry. I checked at the local lkq and they have plenty of Taurus's. So I believe I'll get a couple and go from there. Thanks for the assistance. Will try and post pictures when I'm done.

Reaction score
Cool. I don't mind getting whatever pics I can if you need them. I have two trucks that have electric fans on them and a friend of mines OBS pulling truck has e-fans also so I could get pics of them too. Electric fans are electric fans whether they are on a pulling truck or on my mud truck. Not incredibly complicated.

On a pulling truck though you only really need fans after you're done pulling when the truck is sitting idle. For that, you don't need tons of air flow to cool it down. A couple fans strapped straight to the radiator core or even a pusher setup in front will do it. Just comes down to your own desires. If you want even more space in front of the engine, get some pusher fans and put them in front of the radiator or in front of the IC if you have an air/air IC. Pusher fans will need to push more air to be as effective as puller fans, but it can be done.

If you want the fans to be as efficient as possible, you'll need to build a shroud for them to make sure you pull air across the whole radiator core. Not necessary IMO if the fans will only be used to cool it down after a pull.

ibestroken

Reaction score
Yea that sounds good about pics. Was just curious cause I wasn't sure of the measurements of the dual Taurus fans. Was hoping they would fit the full 27.5in across the radiator so they'd be easier to mount and look semi clean. No need for the shroud. Like you said will only be using them after the pull for cool down.

If you can and get a chance post a pic of how you got them mounted.

Thanks

Reaction score
Yea that sounds good about pics. Was just curious cause I wasn't sure of the measurements of the dual Taurus fans. Was hoping they would fit the full 27.5in across the radiator so they'd be easier to mount and look semi clean. No need for the shroud. Like you said will only be using them after the pull for cool down.

If you can and get a chance post a pic of how you got them mounted.

Thanks

The notes that I have from when I was considering using a Taurus or Mark VIII fan on my mud truck say the fan from the 90-95 era Taurus w/ 3.8L engines is 21.5"(W) x 15"(H) x 4.5" deep. The Taurus fan has a plastic shroud built into it.. It is also a 2 speed fan (if it has 3 wire motor pigtails). The info I have shows that on low speed one of these fans will pull ~25-30 amps and on high speed 40 amps. I think one of these would be ok to cool that thing off. It wouldn't hurt to get the motor pigtails from the car too. I think if it were me I would stick one of these on it and wire it up to a couple switches or a 3 position switch for high and low speed operation so you can run high speed with the engine running and low speed with the engine off if you want to.

Next time that I'm at Cody's I can ask him what fans he has on the pulling truck and get pics if needed. They definitely aren't the fans I'm talking about above.

Last edited:

Built4tq

Reaction score

Latest posts

Members online