Emissions testing...

GreenF350

Reaction score
So, I apologize right off the get go for my ignorance, but I have never been anywhere that required emissions testing and I just found out that I HAVE to move to Las Vegas. Assuming I register my truck there, it appears that I will have to undergo such horrors. So, for those of you "in the know"....

What do they look for on the visual? Is the blue haze/smoke I get when I first start it at lower temps from the 238/80 injectors going to be an issue? (I noticed on the website they even have a "hotline" for people that see a smoking vehicle" to call and report it.) Will I have to put my EBPV back on? etc. Basically, what do I need to know. Any advice/input on this matter would be appreciated.

-Aaron

Last edited:

CATDiezel

Reaction score
I'm not sure.. I have no answer. BUT. I would post this in the general topic section to get more views and more guys that would possibly know...

weazel

Reaction score
I live in Reno, the only two counties in NV the emissions test are Clarke (Vegas) and Washoe (Reno) the smoking vehicle hot line is a joke, no one ever uses it, there are a hundred thousand 12v dodges running around with the fuel screw cranked, I'm not sure about Clarke county, but in Reno the hook up the sniffer and put it on the rollers, they don't even pop the hood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Austen

Reaction score
As mentioned, if you can run a "stock" tune that eliminates the smoke as much as possible, that would be the way to go. Visual check on the other hand is fair game.

FWIW, my 7.3 passes with flying colors with a straight pipe on a stock tune.

Find a shop that can do a sniffer test beforehand to verify if you're in compliance to have that unknown eliminated prior to the state test.

bruce

Reaction score
I passed Washington states emmision test with 160/100's and a 38r in a 425 horse daily tune.

GreenF350

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like it might not be quite as bad as I thought. Maybe just go back to the smaller turbo exhaust housing (been wanting to do that anyway) and chase down my check engine light issue. And hope for the best. I guess I can always do whatever work to make it good if/when it doesn't pass, but if all they do is check opacity, as long as it's not 120* the day I do it I should be fine. Thanks again.
-Aaron

Latest posts

Members online