Engine mis/ cutting out under load and wot after HPOP swap

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
Well last fall after doing some heavy towing over about 1,500 miles I decided it was time to upgrade the HPOP since the truck didn't seem to happy going up any decent grades. Decided to go with an Adrenalin HPOP, swapped it out and towed the same load another 100 miles or so. It seemed like an entirely new truck, had much more low end power, dropped EGT's a bit and seemed like money well spent.

However since the day I installed it whenever I stab the throttle the engine will cut out, act like its starving for fuel, or low on ICP for a couple seconds then it will smooth out and pull hard. When I'm hooked to a trailer it does the same thing when just rolling into the throttle to pass someone (more load on the engine than empty), cuts out for a couple seconds then it smooths out and pulls fine. It does this each time I get into the throttle. Finally got a scanner on it about a month after dealing with this issue and finding no good solutions in my search for an answer.

After watching injection pressure on the scanner while this is happening, it only does it when ICP exceeds about 3100#'s. ICP will hit 3100ish and climb up to as high as 35-3600 before coming down and leveling out around 28-2900. Whenever ICP is over 3100 is when the engine is cutting out and acting like its not getting fuel or injection pressure, but as soon as it levels off around 28-2900 it runs fine and pulls hard. I couldn't catch the duty cycle for the IPR when the problem is happening as I have no way to data log with the scanner I'm using, but duty cycle is around 40-45% when the truck settles down around 28-2900 icp, running good and pulling hard.

The only thing I've replaced since this problem started happening is the HPOP, and IPR. I installed a new Adrenalin and a reman IPR with new O rings from diesel site. Nothing else has been changed. I have a fuel pressure gauge in the cab and it holds 65psi and obviously I have good ICP pressure.

I'm at a loss, I've spend hours on the phone with Diesel site, ******** and friends very familiar with the 7.3 with no good solution with the limited diagnostic capabilities I have at my disposal. The only thing I've heard this far is it could be tuning or a number of other things. I had the chip re burned by ******** twice with no good results. Finally broke down and bought a Hydra so I wouldn't have to deal with mailing the TS chip out anymore and I'm currently waiting to try Power Hungry's tunes to see if they can smooth it out.

Any insight would be appreciated.
The truck is a 99.5 with, custom tunes, Adrenalin HPOP and reman IPR, 160/30 single shots, 38R, Intake, and Exhaust

Last edited:

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
I have seen similar issues when someone runs a gen 3 or duals without the correct tuning for them. However, the Adrenaline is just a stock replacement pump so no custom tuning should be required for it. I am curious what your duty cycle is doing when you are at 3100+psi of ICP. Do you have another IPR to try out by chance?

Baker42

Reaction score
I had a similar problem when I installed my adrenaline. Truck would just die when up to operating temperature. I would let the truck cool down and it would fire right up. As soon as it would get close to operating temperature it would die like the key was shut off. Put a new IPR on from Ford and it never happened again. Stay away from Bob Riley's "re-manufactured" IPR's.

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
I have seen similar issues when someone runs a gen 3 or duals without the correct tuning for them. However, the Adrenaline is just a stock replacement pump so no custom tuning should be required for it. I am curious what your duty cycle is doing when you are at 3100+psi of ICP. Do you have another IPR to try out by chance?

The truck has was doing the same thing with the original IPR that I swapped from my stock pump to the Adrenalin, as its still doing with the reman IPR in the Adrenalin. Didn't change a thing.

I had a similar problem when I installed my adrenaline. Truck would just die when up to operating temperature. I would let the truck cool down and it would fire right up. As soon as it would get close to operating temperature it would die like the key was shut off. Put a new IPR on from Ford and it never happened again. Stay away from Bob Riley's "re-manufactured" IPR's.

My truck has never had a "no start" issue, or a dying issue.

I should also add that I have since put in another CPS to rule out that as a possibility, with no difference in results.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Have you checked fuel pressure? Now that youve got the oil to run it hard, you may not have the fuel, ie plugged intake filters maybe?

TyCorr

Reaction score
Id be looking at, strike that, replacing the ipr pigtail. Perhaps the ipr.

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
Try a new ICP sensor? Or new pigtails.

Does it throw a code?

I have not replaced the ICP sensor or either the ICP/ IPR pigtails.

Have you checked fuel pressure? Now that youve got the oil to run it hard, you may not have the fuel, ie plugged intake filters maybe?

Yes
I have a fuel pressure gauge in the cab and it holds 65psi

Id be looking at, strike that, replacing the ipr pigtail. Perhaps the ipr.

Haven't replaced the pigtail for the IPR but I put a reman IPR from diesel site in with no change from my original IPR.

I was going to suggest IPR too but I guess that's not the culprit

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Unless the original and the reman I put in both weren't working correctly, slim chance though.

psduser1

Reaction score
Have you talked to your tuner, by chance? Depending on how worn out your original pump was, could the new pump be "overshooting"?
I wouldn't think that would be a problem with an adrenaline, but that's the only change.

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
Have you talked to your tuner, by chance? Depending on how worn out your original pump was, could the new pump be "overshooting"?
I wouldn't think that would be a problem with an adrenaline, but that's the only change.

Yeah, I've had it re tuned twice. Got tired of mailing the 6 pos chip out so I just picked up a hydra and I'm waiting for a chance to try out a tune I had Power Hungry write for me after discussing this issue with them. I'm really hoping its just tuning because I have no clue what else it could be and really don't want to keep throwing parts at it.

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
Well finally got a chance to install the new Hydra and load up a tune I had written for me by Power Hungry and so far I can't get the truck to re produce the issue I was having. I've only put a handful of miles on it so far but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that tuning has been the issue all along.

Latest posts

Members online