evacuating the crank case

slc6oh

Reaction score
so knowing the stock ccv system basically vacuums out the crank case, is there anything to be gained by keeping it on a vacuum type setup vs vented to atmosphere like I currently have it? it don't stink, or leak, but jus curious, I know in boosted gassers people claim hp gain from pulling a slight vacuum on the case.

thinking about pulling the case pressure into the exhaust.

any thoughts?

strokin6L

Reaction score
Venting it to atmosphere will keep your cac tubes and boots from getting oil soaked and popping off. Will also keep intake manifold and intercooler clean of oil

slc6oh

Reaction score
yea, I know that, I'm just meaning is it really worth evacuating the crank case?

if I do it ill be using the exhaust to pull vacuum on the case. so no need to worry bout boots/cac/intake

Reaction score
There are many reasons we run vacuum pumps on our N/A and boosted gas engines. One main advantage is controlling the oil below the rings to prevent oil intrusion into combustion chamber resulting in the dreaded detonation. Kind of a moot point on our diesels I would imagine. However, the negative crankcase pressure can allow the rotating assembly to spin more easily but again on our street trucks I would imagine the benefit is negligible.

KCTurbos

Reaction score
Keeping oil out of the turbo/intercooler/intake/valves will make a difference. Over time it can actually cause issues when things start to get really gunked up.

On the other end of the equation you are more likely to develop oil leaks if you vent to the atmosphere. It can also cause you to blow oil out your turbo seals if you ****** it wrong or get a kinked hose.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I ran my ccv ****** into my exhaust using a venturi that vibrant sells. its a weld in deal that should in theory still pull a vacuum on the system like it is designed to have, but it doesn't go into the intake system anymore. also doesn't have the smoke trail under the truck like venting it to atmosphere.

01pwrstkr

Reaction score
Keeping oil out of the turbo/intercooler/intake/valves will make a difference. Over time it can actually cause issues when things start to get really gunked up.

On the other end of the equation you are more likely to develop oil leaks if you vent to the atmosphere. It can also cause you to blow oil out your turbo seals if you ****** it wrong or get a kinked hose.
I learned this the hard way. When I installed my No Limit intake I vented my ccv to the atmosphere and I had a pretty good curve going from the inner fender to the chassis. After 3 or 4 weeks I started noticing blue smoke on take off. I guess the heat made the hose soft enough to collapse. I cut the kink out and rerouted and haven't had any more issues.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

strokin6L

Reaction score
Here's mine. Factory elbow on the valve cover turned down

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1469481786435.jpg
    FB_IMG_1469481786435.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 155
Reaction score
Mine dumps into exaust, I love not seeing and smelling it anymore

06-6.0l, CCLB 4X4, studded, reworked heads, egr gone, cab reroute, blue spring mod, 6.4 banjos, updated dummy plugs, stand pipe, and stc fitting; New oil cooler, New ipr, New icp, atlas 40 FICM, powermax turbo, and Geerhead tunes, 325/65R18

slc6oh

Reaction score
changin the exhaust up, so i went ahead and ordered that vibrant piece too...

how yall routing the hose?

Merc82

Reaction score
Ya'll got a part # for that vibrant piece? Did you use a catch can in between? Got mine vented to the atmosphere, the only time I am concerned about it is when I am sitting in traffic though.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I can get you a part number tomorrow if it dont come up before then. I am not using a catch can.

I ran the factory breather elbow turned out, then another factory hard 90 from the stock elbow pointing down. I then ran 8 ft of 1in heater hose around the steering shaft and down the frame, across the t-case and into the vibrant piece. I have a "cat" welded in in about the factory spot and i welded the venturi in right before it.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
no I am not running a check valve.

the part number for the stainless steel vibrant venture is vib1189

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I just hose clamped the 1in to the an threads, cheesedik i knkw, but it works LOL

Latest posts

Members online