Exhaust/Intake Mani Options, ordering this week :)

randy_4life

Reaction score
Hey all another thread about my build :)

gonna be ordering up exhaust and intake manifold and up-pipes next.

looking at the BD 6.0 exhaust manifold cause im local to them but kinda curious how the steed speed ones are, they are sure pretty is it worth the extra money? or another nice looking set that are even pricier is the RCD 6.0L 304 SS Tubular Exhaust Manifolds?!?! whats your thoughts guys

Next question for the Guru's how are the RUDYS Race Ported 6.4 Intake Manifold? they got a nice price @ 599 compared to the Z-MAX or the Elite the Rudy's is half price is it worth it to get the more expensive option or is the Rudy's good to go?

Up-pipes I was looking on rudys... most of them come with an option for the wastegate port, sorry for being a dummy here but would all that's be needed to run a wastegate is to order the uppipe with the port and grab a H&S wastegate kit? hahaha sounds pretty straight forward but had to ask

Thanks to all that's helping me! its most appreciated this is a total learning curve for me :)

randy_4life

Reaction score
another dumb question is why does it say wastegate on the up-pipe on BUT I also read about them on the down pipes? oh golly im more confused the more and more I read.. :(

Gonna have to keep my build into a few threads so I can get to understand one thing at a time sorry if I frustrate anyone this is all new to me... ask me about a boosted SRT8 Cherokee and I can tell you all about it! this truck jus has me lost :(

patrick@WDI

Reaction score
What all are you going to do to the truck?

Darkhorse has a nice set of up pipes either for stock manifolds or 6.0. Midwest and RCD both have intake manifolds as well to fit your needs.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Csilva187

Reaction score
Bd manifold or plain Ol 6.0 manifolds will work. Make sure you get the correct style up pipe for the 6.0 manifold with the egr/wastegate provision.

sootie

Reaction score
hit up Morgan @ Midwest diesel for a ported intake manifold, it is well worth the money. He is "Sledpull" on here.

he has three different stages of manifold, i'm sure one will fit your budget.

personally, i would use the stock 6.0 manifolds, there is a set for a real good price in the classifieds right now.

there are two ways to gate your setup: one is on the hotside pipe with only gates boost, and the other is on the uppipes which gate drive pressure. i prefer to gate on the drive pressure side because that way it is easier on the valve-train and head gaskets as well as you can keep the turbo in its MAP and not overspeed it.

you will need custom uppipes to run 6.0 manifolds.

randy_4life

Reaction score
perfect BD for the win, wallets happy about that move, BD said they are gonna have up-pipe to get the 6.0 mani to fir the 6.4 not sure how their pricing is gonna be but its another option :)

How's the RUDYS Race Ported 6.4 Intake Manifold, is it good or is it a part worth getting the ZMAX or ELITE intake mani at double the price??

randy_4life

Reaction score
sounds good ill get a hold of Morgan for it see what hes got for me so you know the price rage of them from him? :)

randy_4life

Reaction score
in contact with darkhorse jus got the CCV mod and up-pipe in the works and PMing Morgan right now...
what stage mani should I be going for is stage 2 fine or should I be going with the stage 3 or 3x?

Breaking Habits

Reaction score
Our new up pipes for 6.0 style manifolds are twice the thickness of stock wall material. Not always does the bellow fail, but the thin material does.

They are very affordable, and some of the best pieces you can buy, period.

They are available direct, or through or dealer on here such as Midwest, Unlimited, Elite, etc..

TD-5

Reaction score
There are several variations of ported intake manifolds available, Generally there is:
Stage one = inner mounting posts are milled out, Stage two = both inner & outer mounting posts are milled out, Stage 3 = both posts milled out & the dent for the fuel filter housing clearance is removed. Then there is the Elite Z MAX that has the manifold tops removed to do a complete porting of the runner interior. I think there are a couple other outfits that offer or did offer manifolds modified like this. Then there is how the mounting holes are set up where the posts have been removed, some offer pipe plugs threaded directly into the manifold material, others offer bungs welded into the manifold & ORB plugs. Some offer both options to their customers. If you go with a manifold that has the dent removed you will either need to shim the fuel filter housing or go with a filter housing delete kit. Also a lot of the factory mounting bolts for the manifold are configured with a stud on top of them for securing fuel lines, turbo drain etc, These are gone with a ported manifold.
Take some time & study up on everything that's out there before you jump at what looks like the best buy.
Personally I would go for a manifold that has ORB plugs.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
There are several variations of ported intake manifolds available, Generally there is:
Stage one = inner mounting posts are milled out, Stage two = both inner & outer mounting posts are milled out, Stage 3 = both posts milled out & the dent for the fuel filter housing clearance is removed. Then there is the Elite Z MAX that has the manifold tops removed to do a complete porting of the runner interior. I think there are a couple other outfits that offer or did offer manifolds modified like this. Then there is how the mounting holes are set up where the posts have been removed, some offer pipe plugs threaded directly into the manifold material, others offer bungs welded into the manifold & ORB plugs. Some offer both options to their customers. If you go with a manifold that has the dent removed you will either need to shim the fuel filter housing or go with a filter housing delete kit. Also a lot of the factory mounting bolts for the manifold are configured with a stud on top of them for securing fuel lines, turbo drain etc, These are gone with a ported manifold.
Take some time & study up on everything that's out there before you jump at what looks like the best buy.
Personally I would go for a manifold that has ORB plugs.

Well said.

OP: I have a stage 2 with ORB's that I made for my 6.4 that needs a home, if you're interested

Fordtrucks

Reaction score
I have a stage 2 from Midwest and the stainless 6.0 style exhaust manifolds and pipes from RCD. Very nice stuff, I'm very happy.

B585Ford

Reaction score
Just to clarify on the WG. If they are referring to the DP, they are referring to where the gate runs to (dumps). There are also WG that dump to atmosphere and IIRC most of them mount off the old EGR pipe (so it has to be deleted). Personally, I think gating to the DP is a much better option (but it is a little more expensive generally). See Sootie's comments for the rest on WGs.