exhaust manifold/up pipes

89 Stroker

Reaction score
whats the best way to fix exhaust manifold leaks and up pipe leaks...driver side manifold/block has black all over it and the up pipes have a little bit of soot , but the firewall has zero black on it witch is good??

but yes need to know how to fix these things

old man dave

Reaction score
You can get exhaust manifold gaskets although they did not have them stock, ford and others have them. If the uppipes are not too far gone, then have a muffler shop expand them until they fit tight into a new uppipe gasket. If they are gone, then replace the uppipes. Slather the uppipe gasket with antiseize for better sealing results. You may have to replace the uppipe bolts since they tend to rust in place.

You have to pull the turbo to do this job. Front bolts easy, rear bolts, use a 10mm 1/4" swivel socket/3/8" adaptor/extension to get at the rear bolts and grunt hard. The bolts at the back of the turbo flange, top ones easy, bottom bolts hard, cut a box end wrench in half and tap with a 4 oz. hammer and they come loose. Sounds ridiculous, but my buddy showed me this on my truck after much struggling on my part, it took him only a couple of minutes for each bolt. Also have to unbolt the downpipe. You can get to the uppipe bolts from below the truck with a long 3/8" extension.

To reinstall the back turbo bolts, tape the bolts with electrical tape and leave a long "tail" to remove the tape later, put the bolts into the turbo mount holes so the bolts do not stick below the turbo mount and then mount the turbo. The tape keeps the bolts from disturbing the turbo orings. Start the bolts with the same socket/extension combo and pull off tape. Then put in front mount bolts. Align the uppipes, the exhaust inlet adaptor and turbo, then tighten up. This part is harder than it sounds but be patient. May take several tries to align the turbo, uppipes and exhaust adaptor.

Last edited:

old man dave

Reaction score
Stock or bellowed? Bellowed is the best long term solution but the most expensive. The stock pipe ends erode since heat expansion causes the gasket to wear away the end of the uppipe. Bellowed pipes have no relative motion so no wear and last for the life of the engine. Sellers are on this site and maybe even the other poster in this thread!!!

If your uppipes are in good condition, they ends can be resized. That's the cheapest. Otherwise, stock parts like gaskets and uppipes can be found at online parts dealers like RockAuto.com. Find a 5% discount for RockAuto.com at Retailmenot.com, enter it into the "How did you hear about us" box at checkout.

I did change mine 4 times in 200K miles, though.

Last edited:

89 Stroker

Reaction score
Stock or bellowed? Bellowed is the best long term solution but the most expensive. The stock pipe ends erode since heat expansion causes the gasket to wear away the end of the uppipe. Bellowed pipes have no relative motion so no wear and last for the life of the engine. Sellers are on this site and maybe even the other poster in this thread!!!

If your uppipes are in good condition, they ends can be resized. That's the cheapest. Otherwise, stock parts like gaskets and uppipes can be found at online parts dealers like RockAuto.com. Find a 5% discount for RockAuto.com at Retailmenot.com, enter it into the "How did you hear about us" box at checkout.

I did change mine 4 times in 200K miles, though.

the up pipes seam to be leaking a tiny bit at the bolts but there is no soot on the firewall..i was thinking of picking up a exhaust manifold gasket but i dont have money for the bellowed up pipes

96F350KID

Reaction score
Bellowed up pipes from us are 299.99. One time life time warranty. That means $300 bucks one time and youre done with those horrible gaskets!!

89 Stroker

Reaction score
checked the manifold bolts and they were loose....you guys know the torque specs they were at when put on and what is safe to torque them to now?

Latest posts

Members online