Factory brake controller sucks

4.0l sahara

Reaction score
Who else thinks the factory controller sucks? Just seems so weak compared to any aftermarket controller. Can't lock the brakes on a 14k empty trailer with our 2008 450 but any other truck with a aftermarket unit locks the same trailer right up. I know I'm not the first to complain of this on a ford. Any solutions of fixes for the weak performance of the factory controller?

RSK

Reaction score
How are the brakes on the trailer? Both my trailers work great with my 6.4 and the factory brake controller, both my trailers are also 2013's i bought brand new and both probably have 30,000 miles on them or more because they dragged around every single week.

4.0l sahara

Reaction score
The brakes are brand new and work perfect on another truck. Just put all new backing plates on and turned the drums before Rudy's. It isn't just any one trailer it's weak with any trailer I've tried. It works but it's far from what it should be. Same trailers have zero problems locking up on a truck with a p3 or a ****ty Reese controller in our d max.

Last edited:

fine69

Reaction score
My factory controller in my 09 will lock up the brakes on my 14k equipment trailer empty or loaded. Sounds like you have a problem with your controller.

4.0l sahara

Reaction score
yes maxed out gain slide lever pinned it tugs back a little and slows the truck a tad but that is all she has. I'll have to measure what it's actually putting out and check the ground etc and go from there.

outacntrl

Reaction score
I agree probably the controller. A friend of mine was having trouble with his 13 not having very strong brakes and with gain all the way up and slid all the way over I only measured 8 volts at the plug and when I checked another truck with factory controller it had battery voltage there and the other truck would lock the brakes but his wouldn't.

RSK

Reaction score
I never turn my gain up past 5 on my 6.4 and it stops the 17-18000lbs behind it like a boss...

FourEyed

Reaction score
I've noticed this too with mine... With my open car trailer I have to turn the gain to about 8.5-9 to get anything out of it. Same thing with the brand new 12k dump trailer. Maybe the controllers are hit or miss?

Wizbangdoodle

Reaction score
Can you just measure the output voltage at the connector to see how good or bad it is working? How do you troubleshoot a problem like this?

Jomax

Reaction score
Also you guys need to remember you need to adjust your brakes on your trailers... My dump trailer needs an adjustment again(always fully loaded) , after they're readjusted. I can lock the brakes....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

griz700rocket

Reaction score
I've found that using the lever doesn't output nearly as much as just using the brakes. IE if I turn the controller up enough the lever will slide the tires then when I use the brakes the trailer is doing way more braking than the truck.

Latest posts

Members online