Factory trailer brake controller issues

CATDiezel

Reaction score
The trailer is grounded through the 7 pin. I even ran a ground from the trailer to the chassis of the truck and verified it at .3 ohms. Dexter brakes and axles all say in the instructions that the trailer must be grounded through the 7 pin and the one I'm dragging is. 20+5 tandem gooseneck "big tex" even my older "hayvan" tandem did the same thing to me.

Interestingly enough I just read up that if the brakes are not 100% adjusted properly it can cause this. However I'm out of town now and cannot troubleshoot this till I get back and am vastly losing interest. (Will probably regain interest when I get back home)

CATDiezel

Reaction score
I had brakes half the time.... so I was half safe I guess.... lol. Only blew out one tire. Thank God for tandems.

20160416_090218_zpssstszryo.jpg

Attachments

• edited_20160416_090218.jpg
    edited_20160416_090218.jpg
    575.5 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score
How can the brakes be properly adjusted? Thats kind of preference. I understand what that statement means but its not that cut and dry.

Ive heard that too. It sounds like complete bullchit too. It must be the "official" answer. Notice its external to the truck?

CATDiezel

Reaction score
The voltage reference that is sent to the brakes on the trailer to recognize a trailer is "connected" it's a very small voltage. Milli volts. The rest is vague.

Jomax

Reaction score
My brakes on my dump trailer are in dire need of adjustment, just haven't done it yet.

No issues for me.

Do you live in rust country? Maybe that's playing an important role?

No one I know of in AZ ever talks about brake controller issues from 2005 trucks and up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CATDiezel

Reaction score
7Zero rust here. Not a spec. I currently live in North Central arkansas.

I do think it is the integrated controller. I would just like more info on just how "smart" that thing is and what can be done to truly test it or how it functions.

TyCorr

Reaction score
My brakes on my dump trailer are in dire need of adjustment, just haven't done it yet.

No issues for me.

Do you live in rust country? Maybe that's playing an important role?

No one I know of in AZ ever talks about brake controller issues from 2005 trucks and up.

The 05 and 07 trucks, the controller works great. Or it has in any of them ive used.

Gm has it figured out on the 07.5+ trucks.

Atsah

Reaction score
Ya, my GMC has no issue with it, my 05 and 12 super duty's had the TBC issues with the same trailers I pull with the GMC.. MY 05 did it with no trailer attached at all, PITA..

TyCorr

Reaction score
Ya, my GMC has no issue with it, my 05 and 12 super duty's had the TBC issues with the same trailers I pull with the GMC.. MY 05 did it with no trailer attached at all, PITA..

I dont like the issues ive had with the gm's but even though i love fords the tradeoffs kept me in gm diesels. Can you imagine usinga 6.4 for 40-60k per year? Id have burned it after a year. LOL

Jomax

Reaction score
I dont like the issues ive had with the gm's but even though i love fords the tradeoffs kept me in gm diesels. Can you imagine usinga 6.4 for 40-60k per year? Id have burned it after a year. LOL

You never know, you could've had super good luck. Plenty of stock 6.4s of there with 100k+ trouble free miles. Just on the forums, most people come here, because they HAVE an issue with their truck lol.

Jomax

Reaction score

I blame rust, must be getting a certain ground?

CATDiezel

Reaction score
You never know, you could've had super good luck. Plenty of stock 6.4s of there with 100k+ trouble free miles. Just on the forums, most people come here, because they HAVE an issue with their truck lol.

If you read the RV forums there is a mountain of problems.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
that's pretty Odd I have heard of people having issues with them but me personally I don't. I think part of the problem is the controller is too smart for its own good so when it senses an issue it just turns the brakes off or beeps ect ect where an old school controller will try to apply braking no matter what. I personally feel that when they work right the ford controller is much better because it uses brake pressure to provided the trailer braking force rather than rely on inertia or a "boost" of brake voltage to get things stopped.

TyCorr

Reaction score

No. I was interested when they were new. My dads old employer bought 7 of them. They had tons of problems on them all. They got fed up and bought dodges.

I like the power you can make but waking up, being required to yank a trailer down the road 40-60k per year, and then get home when nothing is open everyday it was too risky.

But yes, some have been fine.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
No. I was interested when they were new. My dads old employer bought 7 of them. They had tons of problems on them all. They got fed up and bought dodges.

I like the power you can make but waking up, being required to yank a trailer down the road 40-60k per year, and then get home when nothing is open everyday it was too risky.

But yes, some have been fine.

The issue is nothing shy of embarrassing. Driving what should be the finest truck on the road with the crappiest brake controller widely known on the market.

I'm surprised there has not been a lawsuit truthfully. Im.not interested in it but Ford has really skated around that issue now for several years. Towing is a grey area and that been there scape goat. If I could only have a FORD model tandem axle trailer!!

TyCorr

Reaction score
They are masters of letting an achilles heel define their most capable model of any segment.

That brake controller issue is ludicrous though.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
It's like wearing an entire outfit designed by docle and Gabbana and going to Payless for a pair of sneakers! Lol...

It's a great controller but it's evident that it's a bit finicky and needs refinement. A bypass mode would be fine for me

TyCorr

Reaction score
My old school ones, despite not being integrated, work just fine. Adjust the brakes and im ok with them.

If the itbc works its better but if its a finicky bitch ill take tekonsha or hopkins or curt any day lol

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.