Fan clutch/engine temps

NyCowboy87

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the spec is for fan clutch engagement? Seems like mine is almost always on especially hauling my big trailer and horses (15k lbs). I put my scan tool on it this weekend and of course can only monitor engine oil temps, but anything over 208* the fan comes on. The idiot water temp gauge doesn't seem to move toward hot before the fan comes on and it's getting a bit annoying between the fan noise and this 38r.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Denver

Reaction score
In my 02 Superduty it will come on around 218-220. Reading from a coolant gauge on the pillar and getting temperature from the port on the water pump at the upper hose. I did have the same gauge on my 95 OBS and I don't recall the fan ever speeding up or the temp going above 215. That truck had the older all metal radiator setup.

NyCowboy87

Reaction score
Hmm makes me wonder if my water temps are getting that hot. Do you have any data comparing water temp to oil temp? I know my oil temp didn't rise over 214 while I was watching it. I always figured oil temp would be higher than water temps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Optimator82

Reaction score
I just got rid of the problematic thermal fan clutch a few weeks ago on my truck and replaced it with an electric fan clutch from Horton (Horton EC-450). My stock fan bolted right up to the electric fan clutch too. One of the best upgrades I've made to my truck.

TitoBandito78

Reaction score
Mine was doing this bs two summers ago and I got a new fan clutch and the problem went away.

Latest posts

Members online