Ficm tuner

07powerstroke91

Reaction score
So IDP ficm tuning does not have inductive heating? Does my '07 have it stock? (aug 06 build date, never been reflashed).

Dave

Reaction score
No inductive heating in Innovatives FICM tunes.

PHPs has mild inductive heating.

He may not need injectors.

Innovatives FICM tunings always had crap cold starts with anything over the mild flash.

C-TANE

Reaction score
I was thinking stiction in the injector as well. If the ford inductive heating was masking the stiction issue that would explain why it became so apparent after getting rid of the heating cycle. (thanks Pizzapig)... IDP has sent me a new link to try and download a mild induction. I was thinking about trying some revX to see if it clears it up. before I download a new tune. Injector contribution test shows pretty even numbers and one bank has less than 10k on them. I'm gonna have to search and see if running these injectors cold with stiction is gonna hurt them. I really like the way my 6.0 runs with IDP FICM tuner once it warms up. If I could clear up the cold start smoke I would be happy with it as is. It's interesting how and where their FICM tune (canned) puts the extra umph... I of course notice it the second you press the pedal but, I also feel a difference right where it used to shift from third to fourth. It seems to pull 3rd a little longer before it shifts. I know there is no tranny tuning in the FICM but, I think the trans has learned something somewhere.

strokin6L

Reaction score
I've ran ID's moderate FICM tuning which is higher than the mild and never had any issues with cold starts. I've used both the moderate and mild FICM tuning from ID and they both work great in the cold.

C-TANE

Reaction score
Update for my IDP FICM tuning issues... IDP has sent me the link to hypertech's update web site BUT, it doesn't work :bs: In the mean time I have asked questions and experimented with ECM tuning. I found out that IDP doesn't run ANY inductive heating in their standard FICM tune. This causes a HUGE cold start issue in my wifes excursion! As pointed out by other members it shines light on the fact that I do have stiction issues :grouphug: I've got some rev X on the way and am thinking about trying some mystery oil.

Here is what I've learned by changing the ECM tuning; If I back my SCT (canned) tunes down to stock it starts up cold and just has the slightes miss when you excellerate while under 130*. When the tow tune is installed there is a small miss at start-up and some hesitation while trying to excelleration again, until above 130* or so. I know that I have posted about how it acts on the street tune but, I will say it again. Cold start on the street tune is rediculous:cursing: It sounds like it's running (kind of) on one cylinder and will die if ambient is lower than 40*. Upon re-start it will keep running but, is useless until above 130*... If you try to drive it you are taking your life in your own hands because excelleration is like trying to drive in limp mode! It will barely get itself rolling and cough and spudder leaving whom ever is brave enough to try this feet, IN HARMS WAY!!! :badidea: With some help from the guys here it has been discovered that the ruff running cold start is a combination of stiction and over fuelling. That would explain why it is that as you turn down the tuning it runs better cold. I've been told that custom programming can be written that leans out the fuel until the engine temp comes up to operating temp. I'm not a big fan of this... I would really like to try the mild inductive heating IDP has but, to date it has not been easily attainable... If and when they help me get it downloaded I will post an update letting everyone know how it performs. :bowfast:

C-TANE

Reaction score
Update, as of today IDM hasn't made it right. They have given me a web link but, I am not a computer programmer and cannot get it to work.:fustrate:

C-TANE

Reaction score
New update... 9 months have came and gone with NO new help in obtaining the inductive heating programming. I have came to grips with pulling my injectors and buffing the spool rod. Looks to be pretty effective as seen on youtube.

As for the FICM tuner performance. After driving several long summer trips and our normal weekly stuff I have not noticed any significant change in seat of the pants power or feel... However, the pedal/throttle response is GREAT. No change in fuel economy.

If I had it to do over I would see if Someone could re-flash my FICM back to an older stategy that had the quick throttle response or buy the PHP FICM Programmer...:shrug:

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
I just got a PHP FICM tuner. Haven't really had any time to mess with the new 6.0 and I've had it for almost 3wks now :( Just been busy.

Got a bunch of stuff I want to do. Will report back on the PHP unit later :eek:

morepower02

Reaction score
I have a atlas 40 tuned ficm on the way. Looking forward to a little moe low end response.

AKHILF

Reaction score
I have the Hercules tune on mine. I plug the truck in when it's under 20. If I don't it sounds like I have a few dead cylinders.

C-TANE

Reaction score
Finally, a completed thread...

Ok Guys,

My FICM issues have finally been put to bed... After dealing with poor cold start/running conditions for over a year and countless calls to Innovative I was given a new flash! :toast:

Originally Innovative gave me a link to superchip's d.i.y. programmer updater which didn't work. They kept insisting that I was doing something wrong. I was pretty sure I wasn't but, I tried four different times over the course of a year (probably 10 times each try). After my last update in October I called and emailed them every day for two weeks. By November they got tired of hearing from me. They asked me to call them and walk through the updater steps together. It froze in the same place that it did in every attempt before that. I took a screen shot of the failure message and sent to them. After they got the picture, they asked me to send it into them and they would flash it for me. I sent it, they flashed it and sent it back to me. Why they didn't offer this a year ago is mind boggling!!!

I got the tuner back and loaded it up. The second I turned the key I heard the inductive heating! I fired it off and it was as smooth as a kitten :blitzed: I drove it down the street and it started to sputter and threw several injector high circuit codes??? I was thinking great... Here I am worse off then before:fustrate: I callled them and they asked if I removed the FICM Relay before uploading (which I did). They insisted that there was no way their tuner could cause this issue and said it sounded like my FICM voltage was low and it may have killed an Injector or two. I was PISSED OFF at them over the phone! I said, I just drove this thing 50 miles home before I changed the tune, it was PERFECT before the re-flash:mad: They told me they basically washed their hands of it and it was unrelated...

I called a friend of mine that owns a shop and he said bring it in. Keep in mind he has resently done a full diagnostics with his computer including a contribution test and everything else it reads. The FICM board was also repaired a couple of years ago when it went low and knocked out #2 injector.
He connected it to the laptop and the injectors were all over the place! He shut it down and said something isn't right. He pulled the relay and tried the non-inductive heat flash. Same result. He then returned the ECM to stock, read a whole bunch of stuff with the laptop, cleared everything (whatever that means), and then re-uploaded the inductive heating flash. It fired right up and sounded perfect:naughty::doh: Computer showed everything working good so, he shut it down and uploaded my ecm tune from the SCT. Again, fired right off and sounded perfect! Checked everything again and it all looked good. I drove it around the block a couple of times without issue then home. Since then I have driven it 10 different times and about 500 miles, everhing is working well. I talked to the mechanic and he said it must have been some kind of communication error, clearing and reloading it, solved it :lame2: He said he had never seen anything like that before.

After all that I am happy with the current set up but, kick myself for not doing enough research and going with the PHP Gryffin. For $50 more I would have Had a tuner that comes with inductive heating, several performance level options, and the ability to go back to stock. That would have saved me all this headache....

07powerstroke91

Reaction score
After all that I am happy with the current set up but, kick myself for not doing enough research and going with the PHP Gryffin. For $50 more I would have Had a tuner that comes with inductive heating, several performance level options, and the ability to go back to stock. That would have saved me all this headache....

I agree completely. I have nothing against Innovative or any of their products, but their FICM tuner is really lacking compared to the one offered by PHP.

Extended Power

Reaction score
I am running a Swamp's 48 volt FICM that I bought from Danny Elmore.

I had a custom ficm tuned with Eric's mild tune in it before that. (Standard voltage)

I wonder if it would be of any benefit at all in my case to go with a Tuned ficm with compounds?

InnovativeDiesel

Reaction score
There are a few different versions of the inductive heating. You probably have some injector issues and the latest Ford flash is covering them up.

You actually "should" be able to run a non inductive flash on a healthy set of injectors. Ford didn't release inductive heating until later in 2005, so there were a few years the trucks ran perfect on non inductive heating. Inductive heating is a quick fix from Ford to save warranty issues.

The various versions of inductive heating is used to cover up injector issues, but it actually works very well. The reason we use the inductive heating version that we currently have installed, is that the OS works great for adding power and it's easier on the injectors.

Thanks

Extended Power

Reaction score
Hey Eric, do you think your FICM tune on my 48 volt would help my setup at all?

Remeber...there's nothing wrong with my setup, but I'm always looking for more power....it's a sickness...

Extended Power

Reaction score
Haven't you ever ran a FICM tune Ivan?

Yeah, I had Eric's "mild" tuned FICM before I switched to compounds.

I sold it to get a 48 volt FICM...never got it tuned though.

Just don't know if it would be worth it or not.

I'm changing some stuff around this winter, and hope to be between 850-900 on fuel by next summer.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.