Finally broke down and took truck in...

Extended Power

Reaction score
I haven't driven my truck since last spring.
After I put the 330/150 injectors in, along with the 6-phase FICM, and ficm tuner...the truck was taken out for a test rip.
Bounced off the rev limiter through 3 gears in two wheel drive, (should have known better than to leave it in 2wd when fartin around.) and when I came to the stop sign, the truck had a definite "miss", as the truck was shaking at an idle.

So I had Eric send tunes for these injectors, Jesse, and someone else who's name I can't remember right now.

None of them shift correctly...they all seem to get to about 2000rpm, and lockup in each gear. No downshifting unless you come to a complete stop.
No power...just smoke.

So today, after waiting a little over a year to find the time to work on the engine, I took it to a shop to do a couple tests. Compression, and injector testing.

The whole year was spent working on the interior, and stereo system...and I didn't want to start ripping into the engine, with sawdust all over everything.

I tell ya...I'm to the point where I'm tired of working on it.
I honestly thought after I'm done the stereo, the truck was done...only other thing was going to be a new paint job...but at least I could drive it, and not have to wrench on it anymore.
The the test drive happened, and it pretty much pulled the carpet out from under me.

Hope they find something easy.

If it's an injector, they will be for sale.
Cost was over $3200.00 with new solenoids, and spool valves.
I want my 285/100 conventionals back. Lol

Extended Power

Reaction score
Yeah, I know...I remember those days.
But right now....not so much.

Both times I have tried a 150% nozzle, I hated them...too much smoke for me.

It's impossible to find a tuner anywheres close to me to do any "Live" tuning...and I can't drive 24hours to have it done...the smog tickets alone would probably pay for airline tickets to fly a tuner up to Canada.

Extended Power

Reaction score
Well....no call from the shop today.
I asked for it to be parked inside if it had to sleep over.
And tonight, we are getting crappy rain, wind, lightning, and still possible hail...

Hope they say it's down on compression on two cylinders, and has two or three bad injectors...cuz that's what it's performing like...and at least I will know I can start to tear it down. Have a new DFC 0.020" over block, DPC converter, and Straub cam to slide in.
.....nuff messin round...

Extended Power

Reaction score
Call came in from the shop this morning.

Injectors #5 & #7 are dead.

Compression is down on cylinder #5 as well....325 lbs.
But #5 is the hole that I had an injector tip break off about 4 or 5 years ago.

Anyone know what "good" compression should be?

Extended Power

Reaction score
I will be pulling these injectors out at some point soon...
Deciding on what to do....swap out the 150 nozzles to 100's, or go back to conventionals.

samgoto96

Reaction score
Technically anything over about 375 PSI within 10% of each other is considered and all right motor. In my opinion I would like to see 400 to 450 on a stock motor.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

samgoto96

Reaction score
I meant stock Pistons, heads, valves. Like my 7.3 has the bowls machined out, with valve relief, so it's dropped the compression ratio, so I would only expect 350 to 375 PSI out of that motor. If even that.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Extended Power

Reaction score
Pulling the injectors out, and shipping to Jesse for repair.
Now the big question, going out to the guys that are running 330/150's....are they smokey on the street?
I don't have more than 25 miles on these, and I have had so many different tunes in that little bit of time...and not one that didn't smoke to much for daily driving...causing me to be embarrassed to even start it up.
Should I have 100% nozzles installed, or keep the 150's and try even more tuning?

SLYTAPEX

Reaction score
NY, not the urban cesspool, the part that sticks o
How long have you had the compound set up? I'm asking because I'm thinking about doing it but can't find anyone with compounds that doesn't have major issues frequently. I can't do the work on my engine so I am scared to have a set up that I can't get at least a few months out of without sending it to my mechanic.

Extended Power

Reaction score
How long have you had the compound set up? I'm asking because I'm thinking about doing it but can't find anyone with compounds that doesn't have major issues frequently. I can't do the work on my engine so I am scared to have a set up that I can't get at least a few months out of without sending it to my mechanic.

I have had so many different combos over the last six or seven years, it's not funny anymore.

Every time I get it running good, I change something.:fustrate:
It usually ends up with more power, but it's taken a long time to get here.

The best I had it was with the 285/100 injectors, and the 94mm feeding the 69mm.
Better would have been a 64mm for quicker spool up. Best 64mm I had had a .70 open turbine housing. 1:1 drive to boost ratio from 0 to damn near 45 psi.

Last time on the dyno, the engine lost high pressure oil when a tubing line blew off at almost 3000 rpm. That was still good for 798 at the rear wheels.
Everyone there laughed....because they all had Dodges....but nobody was laughing when I tightened up the fitting, put in 4 litres of oil, backed off the dyno, and drove it to a car wash...returned to the dyno event till the end, and then drive it back home again. (4 hour drive):D

I think if you have anything from 800-1000 hp in your truck, and don't have to trailer it to every event you go to, you have a pretty damn reliable setup.

Extended Power

Reaction score
Ok...injectors are out.
Sending them in on Monday.

Now, for anyone running 330/150's...are they smokey on the street? What about at idle?
Thinking of changing to 330/100's.

The video that thewrubelator posted shows smoke at idle...not too much, but it's there.

Last edited:

thewrubelator

Reaction score
Ok...injectors are out.
Sending them in on Monday.

Now, for anyone running 330/150's...are they smokey on the street? What about at idle?
Thinking of changing to 330/100's.

The video that thewrubelator posted shows smoke at idle...not too much, but it's there.

Mine barely hazzes when its warmed up, that video was a morning start up at 40*. Driving around really isn't to bad on the street if you have discipline with the right foot! Cruising 70 with the 369, on a 2.4ms file, EGTs were around 800.

Extended Power

Reaction score
Mine barely hazzes when its warmed up, that video was a morning start up at 40*. Driving around really isn't to bad on the street if you have discipline with the right foot! Cruising 70 with the 369, on a 2.4ms file, EGTs were around 800.

I left a note in the box for Jesse to decide to replace the nozzles or not.
It never ran right from the get go, so I still don't know how smokey, or not smokey it might be.

On a good note...no cracked rocker arms.

Latest posts

Members online