Finishing touches on 2.5" leveling kit install

TexasA&M

Reaction score
I installed a set of 2.5" Icon springs and a set of Bilstein 5100s yesterday on the front of my '06. We ran out of time to do the alignment cams and trac bar though because we weren't quite sure how to go about either. It turns out that I don't have tools big enough for the trac bar anyway...

So here are my questions -

On the cams, once you remove the top ball joint nut, how do you get the original cam out from around the ball joint stud? Does it just pop out? Any tips/tricks?

On the trac bar, how are you guys installing these things? I need to go out and get a 30mm socket. How are you guys getting 400ft/lbs on the nut? Just a 4' breaker bar on the end of the ratchet? Any tips/tricks for this one?

I'm hoping to knock both of these things out next Saturday and then be done with the front end!

SAK

Reaction score
We use an air hammer to get the alignment cams out.

On the track bar we use a big impact to get it there.

OBSWIZ

Reaction score
Spray some of your favorite rust dissolver on the cams..they should just pop out using a pri-bar. I don't use impacts as most won't get tight enough..I use a 3/4" T handle with socket and a 4' extension, blue lock tight and give it hell. We used this method on flywheel bolts on VW's and 356 motors as they needed 400lbs or would come apart....worked great and I never have issues with track bar bushings.

Latest posts

Members online