First cold snap in my 6.7

RyanD

Reaction score
OK, so by cold snap I mean a Texas cold snap. Bought my CCSB in June, been real cold the last couple of days, just wanted to see if I needed to let it warm up any longer before driving it? So far it's been fine, but I do mostly short trips (so short the heater barely warms up)...do I need to take any precautions to keep my '13 6.7 happy in cold(ish) weather?

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
OK, so by cold snap I mean a Texas cold snap. Bought my CCSB in June, been real cold the last couple of days, just wanted to see if I needed to let it warm up any longer before driving it? So far it's been fine, but I do mostly short trips (so short the heater barely warms up)...do I need to take any precautions to keep my '13 6.7 happy in cold(ish) weather?

remote start it, I don't usually drive my truck until its close to 100* of oil temp .

dsmracing1

Reaction score
:whs:....FYI.. I let my EGTS cool down too 350 degrees also before turning it off....

X3 I let my EGT's cool to under 300 but minor difference. We just hit -22 Fahrenheit here in Alberta and the Ford does a great job in the cold. Much better than my 12 Cummins!

Last edited:

08Monster

Reaction score
How long does it take normally for your EGTs to get to 350. It was -14 this morning in ND, and my 6.4 EGTs still won't drop under 300.

dsmracing1

Reaction score
How long does it take normally for your EGTs to get to 350. It was -14 this morning in ND, and my 6.4 EGTs still won't drop under 300.

Even if I'm in Performance on my H&S it sill doesn't take longer than a minute to get down below 350 when I'm in park. If I sit there in drive it sits at around 380-400 after driving at full operating temp and sitting at the lights etc.

Flo Pro 5" and S&B intake for me...

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score

they never will .. you don't need to go below 300* anyway , its just good rule of thumb for a turbo to wait for it to be under 400* before you shut it off.

Str8Ugly

Reaction score
i let my truck idle for about 15 minutes before driving it, if i waited till 100* oil temp i would be waiting a while been in high 20's low 30s in west tx lately

RedRice589

Reaction score
I don't even wait.... Lol I just drive it. It get 3-5 min at most. And I'm not waiting to turn it off. If I'm towing I usually don't turn it off but just regular driving around. I don't usually turn my truck on and off much il just let it run until I'm done going where I need to go.and if I'm towing I'll let it idle for a few minutes before I do turn it off.

Last edited:

sagebel

Reaction score
Has anyone read the Powerstroke owner's manual supplement? It says to wait until the oil pressure gauge reads normal pressure before increasing engine RPM in cold weather (also says you don't need the block heater until -10). Too bad the truck isn't equipped with one!!!

gfulton

Reaction score
Has anyone read the Powerstroke owner's manual supplement? It says to wait until the oil pressure gauge reads normal pressure before increasing engine RPM in cold weather (also says you don't need the block heater until -10). Too bad the truck isn't equipped with one!!!

Oil pressure gauge????

Latest posts

Members online