First long tow with the 71

Ipkyss

Reaction score
Well took my first trip from MA-PA and back. 600 miles round trip. Previously I towed with the Spartan 250. Since adding the 71mm low pressure turbo. I decided to tune down a little. Ran the 210 Tow late lock. For the most part, First time I have ran a tune less then the 250.

The truck was a little stronger than with the 250/ stock turbo. Ran perfect, smooth, smokeless even getting on the throttle at low rpms. GCVW of 21k. Only issue came when I stopped for fuel. The spartan 210 Makes 50psi boost WOT. I am guessing that is not normal for a tow tune on a stock truck? I went from 10mpg average on multiple other trips with the same trailer/ load. Down to 8.5mpg. Now I'm not sure is that is from the turbo or the tune. Next trip I will take with the 250 tune.

powerlifter405

Reaction score
great to hear some real world testing.
Ask jeff the PW and timing differences. The increase in boost could be attributed to moving more air w/ the 71 but the drop in mpg but was the location/trip wise, the same as before. More hills, wind, etc.. hell, your tire pressure good?
BUT, alias, thanks for some good feed back.

Ipkyss

Reaction score
Same trip, trailer, roads, hills, weight, ect. Lots of good hills going down 84-81. And a lot of wind drag on a 36ft enclosed goose. Holding 65-70 the whole trip. Most hills were in the range of 38-42 psi boost.

One other odd thing. It was running about 150* hotter egt then normal compared to the 250 tune with the 71. That I really have no idea why.

Truck really is an animal towing. Its really an eye opener when your pulling hills in overdrive at 70+mph @21k lbs that tractor trailer trucks are down to 40mph on.

Wayne

Reaction score
Really curious to see how it behaves with the 250 tune. late lock typically hurts mpg, and generally speaking, as boost & egt's increase mpg drops as well, but power usually goes up. Was there a strong head wind? I know on my stock stuff I was shocked at how crappy my economy was running with the cruise on at 65 in a 75 going for mpg, but with a strong head wind the whole time. seems like it's always that way heading west on I-80 through wyoming. Got better mpg heading east on the way back going 80 fwiw.

Ipkyss

Reaction score
Late lock should not really effect this trip. Mainly since driving speed is always locked. I need at least the 250/275 tune to overcome the fall on its face at 45 early lock with the trailer. I Will try the 250 next. I guess i was trying to be a little safer with the 210 for once.

Beans71086

Reaction score
I've always got the best mileage with 275 tune, 210 was always the worst out off the 4 I normally run. (210,250,275,310) Although I guess the 275 might be a lil to hot for towing that heavy.

forcefed6.4ford

Reaction score
I bet the mpg drop and egt increase are all tune related. I dont think the 210 has as much timing. Lower timing will increase the egt but drop the cylinder temps iirc.

6.4stroke

im sure jeff will chime in soon. i dont have spartan tunes so i cant really say anything lol try the 250 tune next trip u will prolly see a bit better mpg i kno u just ran the 210 to be on the safe side of things im glad ur truck is running good. is there a noticable gain of turbo sound since u installed the 71?

WoodBoy

Reaction score
I bet the mpg drop and egt increase are all tune related. I dont think the 210 has as much timing. Lower timing will increase the egt but drop the cylinder temps iirc.

I was also thinking the 210 probably has lower timing also and why he is seeing an increase in EGTs

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
I don't tow with my truck but running the same file I can only get 42-44 psi of boost max. That's with the same turbo but without a load. If you are seeing that boost with a load behind the truck, I would assume that is the reason.

Ipkyss

Reaction score
Highest boost i towing was right about 43. I rolled into wot at about 70mph and it went straight to 50lbs and stayed there. was just curious what the max boost would be.

I am unsure on changing the tune i guess. It pulled really good. Really smooth. I feel like i could let someone else drive on long trips with 210. Maybe its just in my head. But even know it has about the same power or more than it did before. Its seems easier on the truck. Hard to explain i guess.

B585Ford

Reaction score
What is "HD"?? My mechanic told me i'm running low on High Def at the moment and need to get a fresh jug at autozone :naughty::
But seriously what is HD?

Thanks, I was starting to wonder if I just didn't know about something.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.