First long tow with the 71

Ipkyss

Reaction score
I "feel" plenty safe as far as the head gaskets go. I made it a long time on stock early 08 head gaskets at over 60 psi boost at times. Would probably still be on the stock head gaskets if I didn't get stupid and push my luck way to far... Tried to do the same trip at 26k GCVW (about 17,500 in tow) on the Spartan 300 tune. Live and learn.

Actually I would be fairly pissed to loose a head gasket at anywhere around 50 psi when others are making 300-400hp more than me on the same bottom end

lusklxix

Reaction score
was that rausch creek? Also are you happy with the work street diesel did for you? I'm thinking about having Sean do some for me.

Ipkyss

Reaction score
was that rausch creek? Also are you happy with the work street diesel did for you? I'm thinking about having Sean do some for me.

Yes. That was from Rausch this weekend. I took 2nd place in Unlimited. Sean at Street Diesel is an awesome guy to deal with and does awesome work. I have not personally had any work done by him.

6.4stroke

Sean is a great guy i nvr personally had work done from him but i ordered my RCD torque converter from him. And i talked to him for a little bit he sure knos his stuff i wouldnt haseitate to let him work on ur truck

Ipkyss

Reaction score
how did the new 71 work out?
FInal thoughts?

Love it. In one hand, I want more power, on the other, I feel like I am at the limit of what I can do and still have it be a tow rig. Its not like we are talking a trip here and there. I am doing thousands of miles a year. Along with going from MA-CA and back this coming winter. I have been waiting for that perfect blown up regular cab 6.4 to cross my path...

Ipkyss

Reaction score
Figured I would update this post. I have made a few shorter trips now. About 200-225 miles round trip with the same load on the Spartan 250. Boost is the same as the 210. Egt down at least 150-170 pulling long hills. Just above 1000 degrees. Ect, and EOT down at least 10 degrees. At or under 200. And more low end.

All and all the 250 seems much better. Fuel mileage seems better, but I won't know for sure till this weekend when I head to PA again.

nickg3130

Reaction score
Sweet man. Cant wait to get mine installed. As far as tuning goes what does x-street compare to for spartan? 250 tune? Im going to be running stock headbolts and i want to be safe. If i see 50psi max boost on the street with the new turbo i think i should be ok as long as im not doing it all day long.

Ipkyss

Reaction score
Sweet man. Cant wait to get mine installed. As far as tuning goes what does x-street compare to for spartan? 250 tune? Im going to be running stock headbolts and i want to be safe. If i see 50psi max boost on the street with the new turbo i think i should be ok as long as im not doing it all day long.

So far I see 50-53 psi boost with every tune from 210-310. Does not seem to matter I think the xtreme street is closer to the Spartan 275? I would think you would really be pushing your luck?

nickg3130

Reaction score
So far I see 50-53 psi boost with every tune from 210-310. Does not seem to matter I think the xtreme street is closer to the Spartan 275? I would think you would really be pushing your luck?

I probably am pushing my luck but if something happens than i can always go bigger. I think i should be ok though beacuse i try not beat this truck at all. A few posts earlier jeff said he was running the same tune and only had 43psi max boost on the same tune.

Ipkyss

Reaction score
I probably am pushing my luck but if something happens than i can always go bigger. I think i should be ok though beacuse i try not beat this truck at all. A few posts earlier jeff said he was running the same tune and only had 43psi max boost on the same tune.

I am thinking trailer in tow (load) makes a big difference. I try to post all my numbers under heavy load since I feel they are more realistic. Its actually what the MAX is.

More than likely if your not beating the crap out of it, or towing long distance. You will be fine. As long as you know **** could hit the fan at some point...

B585Ford

Reaction score

Your braver than me on stock bolts...of course, I had a HG fail and I didn't beat on mine....guess it was just bad luck.

nickg3130

Reaction score
Your braver than me on stock bolts...of course, I had a HG fail and I didn't beat on mine....guess it was just bad luck.

I know I may seem brave but i do have my worries lol. My truck has only 20000 miles on it and has been tuned since 5000, and egr deleted at 12000. Before I switched to innovative tuning, I ran h&s for around 10000 miles and never saw the hot tune. Dd it on wild. And now, with innovatives tuning it's dd on x street. I feel like I can make it last with out studs if i keep my foot out of it. I just want to run it a few times at the track and a few dyno runs to shut some of my buddies up. (cummins and dmax owners) And if worse comes to worse, than I may be able to get it into ford and I'll buy arps for them to install. I would do them myself but I don't have the time or space to do them.

SVTDiesel

Reaction score
I know I am not towing, but I see at least 50 PSI with the 310. As soon as I touch my throttle, I am at 40, it is unreal.

Ipkyss

Reaction score
I know I am not towing, but I see at least 50 PSI with the 310. As soon as I touch my throttle, I am at 40, it is unreal.

I assume the 310 has quite a bit extra kick from the Kem345? You find a good daily driving tune yet?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.