First time from Washington

Bigmorg

Reaction score
Tearing down 97 7.3 for rebuild. Attempting to remove cam, read info on removing Allen screws on timing sprocket on end of cam. Further reading in a proper year manual learned this was a mistake. The screws don't come out. I havent turned crank. Screws won't tighten back up.

superpsd

Reaction score
Should be able to remove the thrust plate bolts and pull cam and sprocket assembly. Are you talking about the 3 Allen bolts on the sprocket? Also welcome from another Washingtonian.

Bigmorg

Reaction score
Thank you! Yes I am talking about the 3 Allen screws ! I'm concerned about after I remove assembly if I can retighten them not knowing what there for.

superpsd

Reaction score
Thank you! Yes I am talking about the 3 Allen screws ! I'm concerned about after I remove assembly if I can retighten them not knowing what there for.

Well at least you can remove it and deal with it on the bench.

Bigmorg

Reaction score
Sounds good! I will tackle it this weekend. I have to put down my tape measure and get out my micrometer. Thank you for your help.

Bigmorg

Reaction score
Third time pulling this engine ! 3rd time the charm, wife running out of patience .

Bigmorg

Reaction score
Purchased used engine online! Was told it was compression tested! Would not start unless plugged in and cranked about twenty times. After warming up would start faster but ran ruff with abnormal noise.changed or rebuilt all external parts and sensors . Replace fuel injectors.casing on timing cover broke where oil cooler bolts on front of engine. Pulled engine again to repair cover. Finally got it back in to do a compression test, and found #2 and #3 low 190 and 230 the rest around 300. Finally pulled again to rebuild. Below minimum compression problem from start. I have only driven it 60 miles since used engine install . Lesson learned!

Latest posts

Members online