Fluid/filter swaps

RyanD

Reaction score
Guys,

I've had the '13 about 3 weeks now and as is customary when I buy a used vehicle, I like to do a flush/fill on all the major components. I'm seeking info on the transmission, as I'm not seeing an interval for the filter (truck is a '13 that just hit 50k miles). At this point, is a fluid change even necessary? Plan was:

Oil/filter
Drain fuel bowl separator/replace filters
Drain/fill differentials with amsoil
Drain/fill transfer case

What are your thoughts? Am I being too paranoid?

Ryan

CallMeColt

Reaction score
My dealer told me differentials and transfer case should be done at 100k. Transmission and fuel filters were done at 80k (before it was mine). I'm not expert, but this is what the deal says, and they have been very good and honest to me.

ithumpwheniwalk

Reaction score
Quite honestly, if the truck is new to you I'd change all the fluids. At least then you know what you're running, and when it was changed. If you bought it through a dealer you are only taking their (or the previous owner's) word that the maintenance has been done. You just spent a chit load of coin on a new truck, what's another $400 for peace of mind and good fluids?

texaslimeaide

Reaction score
The tranny service interval is 100k. Since the 6.0s Ford has been using synthetic oil in the rear end and they have a 100k service rating too.

Your list is great though. If you have the money and time why not do it all so you know what you started with? If I was trying to save money I'd do oil and filter for sure then the fuel filters as they are Ford recommended replaced every 15k. Then choose what's the most important to you or has the worst fluid.

Just my $.02

RyanD

Reaction score
That's what I'm thinking. I've got the cash and time this coming weekend, so I was going to knock them all out. The truck was certainly used to haul/tow, as evident from the bed.

I like the peace of mind of knowing exactly what's in the truck, and 50K seems like a nice round number to base future intervals from. I'm going to move forward on all of this...will update the army of my progress/results.

Thanks guys,
Ryan

Latest posts

Members online