Found a quality HID kit for cheap

getstuk

Reaction score
I know HID's are old news, but it's not any easier finding a good brand online weeding through all the fakes / knock-offs and thought I'd share some research I've done since I've been spending more and more time here.

I bought bi-xenon HID's on ebay first (also for $69.99), that was a mistake (although it's worked in the past). They were Xentec brand and not only did they fail, they were dim to begin with (similar to the stock halogen output). Once they failed, the guy ignored me even though it's only been 4 months into their supposed "2-year warranty." Little bastard lives near me too but I don't have his address anymore, his name is imonkeystore on ebay. This was a high rated ebay seller mind you.

Anyways, I did some more research and found a kit that Amazon users were raving about for the same price, $69.99 by the name brand Kensun. Installed these tonight and they're far brighter, the pics don't do them justice. Here are some pics before/after.

Left beam is the Kensun kit, right beam is the Xentec kit.

Hope this helps someone out. Also, what bulb type are our foglights? Thinking of throwing some LED cubes in instead though, wonder how the light output differs? And lastly, does anyone else have issues with the high beams being the low beams and low beams being the high beams. Even reversing polarity on the hi/low beam trigger wires doesn't matter.

Here is a link to a more detailed article on the install and pics.

Last edited:

superstroked

Reaction score
I have had good luck with kensun as well. Used them in My SxS and in my 09. I have been running them for 2 years in the SxS now with no issues.

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
I need new ones in my car, ill have to check them out. I've had awesome luck with Opt7's and there customer service is great!

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
As far as your high beam issue you need to switch pins in the relay harness. Ive ran into that a bunch. You can use a pin to release the tabs and switch the terminals or cut the wires and switch them.

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
That brief case looks pretty similar to the one retro solutions uses :doh:
El oh el! The worst part about retrosolutions is the replacement policy. You can email opt7 and they will send a bulb or ballast out the next day on your word. Good luck with that with the overpriced retrosolutions stuff!

f3502wd

Reaction score
El oh el! The worst part about retrosolutions is the replacement policy. You can email opt7 and they will send a bulb or ballast out the next day on your word. Good luck with that with the overpriced retrosolutions stuff!

Im lucky they sent me a replacement ballast, they sure as hell gave every excuse in the book.

Latest posts

Members online