Front Axle Joints, Removal Question

sniper_101

Reaction score
Replacing the U joints in the front axle. Pulled the hub + unit bearing assy, will the axle shaft not pull out through the knuckle because of a C-clip or a seal on the knuckle?

Sucker won't slide through, and I've probably overlooked something obvious.

co04cobra

Reaction score
They pull straight out. Sometimes they can be a b!tch! Get a pry bar behind the lip where the dust seal sets and keep even pressure pulling straight out.

They will come eventually. Sometimes the vacuum seal rubber hangs on the knuckle too. Might spray some WD-40 around it to make it easier to come on through.

Halvy85

Reaction score
Ya the dust seals can be really tight but it will come out with a little persuasion. On some that were really tight I've used a punch and hammer to tap them out from the back.

sniper_101

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I had a feeling, but at the risk of damaging something, I'd rather ask before prying.

The seals were a bit seized on the lip on the knuckle. All set now.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Were you axles turning even when the locking hubs were set to."free"?

My drivers side turns, i even replaced the hubs. Someone said Id have to pull the front.axle.apart to.repair it.

co04cobra

Reaction score
Were you axles turning even when the locking hubs were set to."free"?

My drivers side turns, i even replaced the hubs. Someone said Id have to pull the front.axle.apart to.repair it.

The spindle bearing is rusted or froze to the axle shaft. Pull that side wheel bearing out.

The spindle bearing itself is replaceable, but when they run to long like that you have to replace the outter stub shaft too.

TyCorr

Reaction score
The spindle bearing is rusted or froze to the axle shaft. Pull that side wheel bearing out.

The spindle bearing itself is replaceable, but when they run to long like that you have to replace the outter stub shaft too.

Thank you!! That makes sense.

Latest posts

Members online